$10 alternative to controller

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, this is not as fancy, and to be fair costs ~$10 per "plug" or outlet that you want to use it on. The 4 packs are $39.99 (amazon shows and the 2 packs were about 20 bucks)

Just type in meross wifi smart plug into Amazon. There are different listing for 2 packs, 4 packs, singles, the black 2 pack is 18.99 I believe.

I remember reading a similar thread so I know it has been likely posted before but this is just too good not to share.

I'm not particularly advocating for this particular brand over another as there are many other brands out there. I'd suggest you pick one and try it out. The one particular feature that I wish this plug had, that some others do, is power consumption. Wasn't a big enough deal for me to worry about, so I went with this one based on reviews and the features it does have.

So first of all, if you need a timer for your lights, it can do that. May be particularly useful for lower end lights, freshwater tanks, maybe QT tanks that you didn't get as fancy of a light for, etc.

Here are my current schedules for both my FW and SW tanks. You can set a static start and stop time or even use sunrise and sunset (with or without an offset). Really easy to create, you either select the time you want it to start or stop or click on the sunrise or sunset button (at that point it will basically ask you if you want an offset + or - x number of hours in a drop down form)

plugschedules.jpg

You can add your skimmer, your pump, your lights, powerheads, etc to be scheduled or they can be manually turned on and off and it reminds you what the next scheduled event is for the device. Turning on and off the device does not mess up the schedule.

pluglist.jpg

You may notice that my SW Return Pump and Skimmer are off. Well I just so happened to be getting ready to do my weekly water change when I decided to write this post. I since then quickly just tapped the SW Return Pump and started typing.

Now you can also tie this into google assistant (I basically usually just call it google voice). So when I want to do a water change I say "Ok Google, SW pump and skimmer off". You can see that I got confirmation that 2 things were turned off. It also shows my Living Room Plugs are off. You can set assign each device a room and turn the whole room on or off at the same time. I need to double check my room assignments as I don't use this feature. After you turn something off google assistant has a button at the bottom to turn back on or you can say "Ok google, SW pump and skimmer on". Both google voice and the app have worked perfectly for me.

turn off two devices.jpg

You can also set the app to confirm when turning or off something, so you don't accidentally tap it.

TurnoffConfirmation.jpg

It also ties into alexa, which I haven't tested yet as I always have my phone with me and I know that already has the google assistant on it. I'm not as familiar with the Alexa, but assume it should work similar.

I think this is a great thing to have in general, especially for people like me who just dropped a load of cash on a new tank and just don't have the funds for a controller, or some of the nicer equipment with built in timers, and feed modes, etc. I basically can turn any pump or skimmer into "feed mode". Granted I have to remember to turn them back on. The plug does have an option to turn off the outlet after x number of minutes, but I don't believe it has the option to turn on after x number of minutes. Probably not a good idea to have an outlet that automatically powers on for various reasons including safety.

Anyway, just thought I would share.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use WiFi power strips as well. They are great, but if the WiFi hiccups, they can stay in the “on” position. I would caution against putting a critical piece of equipment on it...especially the return pump.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use WiFi power strips as well. They are great, but if the WiFi hiccups, they can stay in the “on” position. I would caution against putting a critical piece of equipment on it...especially the return pump.

Good point. From what I understand when the Wi-Fi disconnects on these plugs, the programming information such as schedule stays local to the outlet, retaining this info. This is what I read on the Amazon Q&A. I will test Wi-Fi outage, and power outage today.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work fairly well, I use them on my T5 fixture, and have used it on my PH controller for my CA reactor before.

I did a full power outage/Wi-Fi outage. The plugs remained in the same state as before the outage. Ie skimmer stayed off, return puno turned back on. I'll be sure to update if I have any issues though.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the TP-Link (Kasa) HS300 which is a 6 port power strip with 3 USB power ports that does something similar. The sockets are individually addressable and have power usage monitoring, which was the big thing I was looking for. I'm currently playing with tying it into a reef-pi via the TP-Link cloud API (and eventually the local API), but for now it's controlled via a schedule programmed in the app just like your setup. The other nice thing is that the USB ports provide power to run a reef-pi, and even it something shuts down the power sockets, the USB ports are always on, so if the system looses power/state, when it comes back up the pi will boot and re-configure the strip as needed (at least, as soon as I finish coding that all up...)

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the TP-Link (Kasa) HS300 which is a 6 port power strip with 3 USB power ports that does something similar. The sockets are individually addressable and have power usage monitoring, which was the big thing I was looking for. I'm currently playing with tying it into a reef-pi via the TP-Link cloud API (and eventually the local API), but for now it's controlled via a schedule programmed in the app just like your setup. The other nice thing is that the USB ports provide power to run a reef-pi, and even it something shuts down the power sockets, the USB ports are always on, so if the system looses power/state, when it comes back up the pi will boot and re-configure the strip as needed (at least, as soon as I finish coding that all up...)

Good luck! I'm a Sys Admin but not much of a developer.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Alexa enabled KMC Smart plugs for various things in my home, including lights on my FW and QT tank.

As already mentioned, I would not trust them to critical equipment, but they are great in applications to replace standard "timers". I absolutely hate both the LCD digital and analog standard timers.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How code savvy do you need to be with the pi? Do you have to know a specific language? Is a plug and play style thing?

Edit: HA! Never mind. There is a whole thread devoted to it!

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I'm a Sys Admin but not much of a developer.
Heh, that's where I started out 20 some years ago... My current plan is to get this all coded up and and working with the Reef Pi over the next few weeks (free time can be hard to come by for me right now). When that works I'll put together a pull request for the project and contribute what I've done so others can use it too.

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How code savvy do you need to be with the pi? Do you have to know a specific language? Is a plug and play style thing?

Edit: HA! Never mind. There is a whole thread devoted to it!
LOL yeah, they've done a really good job making it more of a hardware build problem rather than a software problem. It's all written in Go and Node pretty much, so it's crazy easy to hack (for at least some scales of easy). I plan on contributing what I can to the project when I have time.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back