10 gallon tank skimmer

RafaelAtkinsonJr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a Coralife 65 protein skimmer overkill for a 10 gallon reef tank?

Ive had my nitrates at 40 for two weeks now, been doing four gallon water changes ever weekend.
Have two clowns in their. System has been running for 11 months.

I have this coralife 65 in my closet unopened, I should be able to use this correct?

Thanks in advance

printerrob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a Coralife 65 protein skimmer overkill for a 10 gallon reef tank?

Ive had my nitrates at 40 for two weeks now, been doing four gallon water changes ever weekend.
Have two clowns in their. System has been running for 11 months.

I have this coralife 65 in my closet unopened, I should be able to use this correct?

Thanks in advance

It is a bit over kill but who am i to judge since i have 2 skimmers running in my 40g breeder (rated for 30g & 65g) since i plan on having corals and semi overstocking the tank.

I would say go ahead and use it and cut your water changes down to about 2g every weekend, your nitrates will gradually come down.
is your ammonia and nitrite at 0 or very close to it?

Some one please correct me if i gave a bad answer :)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bit over kill but who am i to judge since i have 2 skimmers running in my 40g breeder (rated for 30g & 65g) since i plan on having corals and semi overstocking the tank.

I would say go ahead and use it and cut your water changes down to about 2g every weekend, your nitrates will gradually come down.
is your ammonia and nitrite at 0 or very close to it?

Some one please correct me if i gave a bad answer :)

No really good or bad answers to this but different schools of thought. oversized skimmers might not be able to build a propper foam head and performance will suffer.
many also believe that small nano skimmers are not really that effective compared to water changes which on a small size tank are very easy to perform.
I'd say a 2 G water change every few days and then cutting back to weekly after your parameters are where you want them.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your salt mix after its been mixed some people have gotten bad batches. If not just watch your feeding and keep with small freq water changes.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run a larger skimmer make sure you have very good circulation or you might get sub par foam production rendering the skimmer semi-useles.. On the other end nono skimmers are kind of a gimmicks.. I would just lower feeding and increase frequency of wc but less volume 4g is 40% if the tank is bare bottom with no live rock, I think you should do 2g a bit more often or even 1g depending on live rock and sand quantities

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the coral life 65 skimmer It would make your 10 gal a bubble factory , better to set up a refugium that will get your nitrates down .

OP
OP
RafaelAtkinsonJr

RafaelAtkinsonJr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone that replied. Nitrates started getting high when I started feeding frozen food.
Previously had been doing 2 gallon water changes in the past months and nitrates and everything was on check. Had been feeding them pellets the past 11 months. (wanted to change it up a bit with frozen food).
I've Been doing water changes every couple of days -3 gallons. Nitrates are going down. But still think a small skimmer will be beneficial for my tank.
Am thinking of getting the red sea hob prizm. Looks promising from what iv read.
Anyone have experience or comments about it?
Thanks in advance!

Back