120 Dual Overflow - Stop Ze Bubbles!!!

Zechirian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've been doing some looking around but I can't really find a solid solution, at least not yet. I'm looking to move on from durso style on my Aqueon 120 to a herbie method or something that can help me reduce the crazy amount of micro bubbles i've got coming into the sump. I've got the system dialed back so it's not producing too many into the DT but i'd really like to minimize them if i can.

I'm imagining something like a 3 drain 1 return system since i don't have a way to hang a return on the DT right now.

If you happen to have some pictures, links, experience, parts or suggestions please post away!

As always, thanks in advance for what knowledge/wisdom you can share!

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the sump set up? Is there a filter sock at the end of the drain pipe?Is there baffles?

OP
OP
Zechirian

Zechirian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i should have stated as such haha, i'm sorry.

The sump is a Trigger Systems Emerald 39 and is setup on the opposite side of the wall in my office closet. It does have baffles in it and a couple of black filters. I do have filter socks but am not currently running them. I'd rather stay away from filter socks, I usually only run them after a water change to catch all the extra stuff flowing around.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd that you've got bubbles going back into the tank if there are baffles. Can you post a pic of the sump?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger Systems

I've had the same issue with my Trigger System sump, IMO it's a combination of the "short" and direct route to the weirs (baffle plates) along with the lack of a third one that's the underlying cause of the microbubbles making their way back to the DT. I cut and weld-on 16 a third weir and that helped a little but the use of a sock on the skimmer outlet and the two on the drain removed ALL the microbubbles.

This needs to be watch closely as when the sock on the skimmer starts to clog (produce back pressure) it has a chance of raising the water level in the skimmer and an overflow condition is imminent; I placed a sectioned piece of PVC just above the water-line to mitigate that and it act like an over-flow if the sock become clogged.

If you want, I can share pictures of what I did.

OP
OP
Zechirian

Zechirian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue with my Trigger System sump, IMO it's a combination of the "short" and direct route to the weirs (baffle plates) along with the lack of a third one that's the underlying cause of the microbubbles making their way back to the DT. I cut and weld-on 16 a third weir and that helped a little but the use of a sock on the skimmer outlet and the two on the drain removed ALL the microbubbles.

This needs to be watch closely as when the sock on the skimmer starts to clog (produce back pressure) it has a chance of raising the water level in the skimmer and an overflow condition is imminent; I placed a sectioned piece of PVC just above the water-line to mitigate that and it act like an over-flow if the sock become clogged.

If you want, I can share pictures of what I did.

Please do share some pictures, that would be great!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back