120 Gallon Overflow Question

guitaris70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm moving within 5 months and I have a 120 gallon tank and stand I just got but I'm not going to set it up until we move to the new house. I have a 20 gallon tsunami sump that's going to be setup with it. I was talking to my lfs earlier and they said I'm going to need 2 overflows in it or to drill it or I will not have enough flow, can I do 2 overflows and have a return pump with the correct flow to return what it's bringing down? They said it would be hard to have a 10x turnover rate. Also I've never owned a drilled tank what makes it so much better and what's the real point to it is it the same as an overflow in a sense? This tank is a five foot long 120 gallon btw and I'm going to be transferring my 54 gallon reef tank to it.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need 10x turnover. in fact, that's at the extreme high end. 3x - 5x is sufficient. in tank flow will be handled by powerheads. Single Herbie drain is all you need. drilling a tank is preferable because it's safer than hang-on-back overflow boxes. if the glass isn't tempered on the bottom, I'd drill it, install an overflow box and set up a Herbie.

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

OP
OP
G

guitaris70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back