OP
K

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A predator tank, hmm. I cannot advise on you that, unfortunately.

However, for a community tank, I could recommend a Marine Betta and a pair of Ocellaris Clowns (these are going to be my staples), a couple of Pajama Cardinalfish (keep them in odd numbers 3, 5, 7 etc.), pretty much all basslets will do (Royal Gramma, Blackcap Basslet, Swissguard Basslet, Swales Basslet, Yellow Assessor, Randall’s / McNeill’s Assessor), some of the more peaceful Hawkfish (Falco, Longnose, Flame-just be careful about putting shrimp or snails), dwarf angels (Coral Beauty, Flame, one of the pygmy angels-African Flameback, Cherub, Brazilian Flameback, Fisher’s etc.), a bunch of gobies and blennies (my favorite is the Yellow Watchman or some other kind of Watchman Goby from the same genus Cryptocentrus), some of the more peaceful damsels of the Chrysiptera genus than can be kept in small groups (Azure, Yellowtail, Talbot’s, Springer’s, Rolland’s).

Not sure about Tangs but maybe a Tomini or Kole Eye Bristletooth or even a Yellow Tang would work?
Think I could possibly thro a blue tang in here?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I’ll have to advise against it. They get much, much larger than your typical Yellow Tang or Bristletooth Tang and IMO a 7 foot tank that’s 200 gallons + would be far more ideal.

They get to like a foot long, I think. They’re also a lot more susceptible to illnesses like Ich compared to some other Tangs (all tangs are to a degree but some genuses including Paracanthurus-the one that the Blue Tang belongs too, as well as the closely related Acanthurus are especially fragile).

So yes to Nemo (and Marlin), but I’d advise against Dory. If you want a brightly colored Tang, Bubbles would be better. The YT is also the smallest of its genus, maxing out at 8”.

To play it safe I’d put no more than one Tang in a 120-gallon tank and you should probably only choose from among the smaller Tangs that get no more than 9-10” (assuming your tank is 5 foot long).

If you want another big fish, the Marine Betta (AKA Comet Grouper) takes up surprisingly little room for a fish that gets to 8” because it’s a bit shy and reclusive. Be sure to provide it with a cave. I have heard that this fish is really hardy and resistant to disease from pretty much except everyone who’s kept it, I plan to get one myself and it’s a real stunner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I’ll have to advise against it. They get much, much larger than your typical Yellow Tang or Bristletooth Tang and IMO a 7 foot tank that’s 200 gallons + would be far more ideal.

They get to like a foot long, I think. They’re also a lot more susceptible to illnesses like Ich compared to some other Tangs (all tangs are to a degree but some genuses including Paracanthurus-the one that the Blue Tang belongs too, as well as the closely related Acanthurus are especially fragile).

So yes to Nemo (and Marlin), but I’d advise against Dory. If you want a brightly colored Tang, Bubbles would be better. The YT is also the smallest of its genus, maxing out at 8”.
Thank you, this was helpful.

MyUsernamesThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stuck between a saltwater predator and community tank, give me your ideas of what you would do and stock it with.
I personally started with corals and a 120 gallon tank as a beginner,not the best step but the fish I would recommend and are reef safe are:
Coral Beauty Angelfish (Centropyge bispinosa),Don't order this fish online they look exquisite once you put them in a tank.
Clownfish (Ocellaris Amphiprion ),getting a pair is recommended.

Yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), getting only 1 is recommended .

Nassarius Snail (Nassariidae ) the only reason you want to get them is because they will clean your sand,make sure to feed it.

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) they consume the parasites from the fish,but feed it.

Yeah that's it,

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back