120 Gallon Stock Ideas

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stuck between a saltwater predator and community tank, give me your ideas of what you would do and stock it with.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I much prefer a friendly tank! You can run a vast array of coral and fish. If I had a second tank I would run a predator setup. The predator tanks require much more maintenance as you cant have a clean up crew and usually have to hand feed them a couple times a day.

OP
OP
K

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Community : (reef safe with caution * )

statement fish: 1 of ...
harlequin tusk*
Sargassum Triggerfish*
Flame angel*
Purple tang

schooling fish :
anthias
Chromis
Damsels
Thank you, I appreciate it

OP
OP
K

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I much prefer a friendly tank! You can run a vast array of coral and fish. If I had a second tank I would run a predator setup. The predator tanks require much more maintenance as you cant have a clean up crew and usually have to hand feed them a couple times a day.
I always thought the opposite. Everyone said you get away with a lot more with a predator tank, as a community tank is very set in stone and not a lot lot room for error. That’s good to know

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i think that depends on the predator as well.

lionfish and eels don’t really go after snails

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always thought the opposite. Everyone said you get away with a lot more with a predator tank, as a community tank is very set in stone and not a lot lot room for error. That’s good to know
I've never ran a pred tank and never researched it but have 11 years on my mixed reef. The key is balance. I only run a skimmer and Kalk stirrer. I spend a total of 45min a month in maintenance and change about 10gal of water.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A predator tank, hmm. I cannot advise on you that, unfortunately.

However, for a community tank, I could recommend a Marine Betta and a pair of Ocellaris Clowns (these are going to be my staples), a couple of Pajama Cardinalfish (keep them in odd numbers 3, 5, 7 etc.), pretty much all basslets will do (Royal Gramma, Blackcap Basslet, Swissguard Basslet, Swales Basslet, Yellow Assessor, Randall’s / McNeill’s Assessor), some of the more peaceful Hawkfish (Falco, Longnose, Flame-just be careful about putting shrimp or snails), dwarf angels (Coral Beauty, Flame, one of the pygmy angels-African Flameback, Cherub, Brazilian Flameback, Fisher’s etc.), a bunch of gobies and blennies (my favorite is the Yellow Watchman or some other kind of Watchman Goby from the same genus Cryptocentrus), some of the more peaceful damsels of the Chrysiptera genus than can be kept in small groups (Azure, Yellowtail, Talbot’s, Springer’s, Rolland’s).

Not sure about Tangs but maybe a Tomini or Kole Eye Bristletooth or even a Yellow Tang would work?

OP
OP
K

Kris39

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ran a pred tank and never researched it but have 11 years on my mixed reef. The key is balance. I only run a skimmer and Kalk stirrer. I spend a total of 45min a month in maintenance and change about 10gal of water.
How many gallons is your tank?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back