13G journey in the middle of the jungle!

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Jungle, I caught your attention right?

Well, I live in Manhattan, so this is my Jungle, and during this time of working from home and boredom, I decided to start my journey.

My little niece got bored with her 5G freshwater tank, and I decided to take it and put some plants and some pretty fishes. A couple of weeks passed, and of course, I wanted more. As you well know, "affordable" apartments in the city are pretty small, so the option of getting a big tank was out of the question. So I settled with a Fluval 13.5 Gallon Evo XII.

I bought some rock online, and I was playing around with the shape I wanted to form; I dream about fishies going under the little tunnel:
1603320268694.png

Here is everything I bought to start the tank.
By the way, I bought the wrong skimmer, so I had to return it. (Chewy is the best because they refunded but didn't want the product back, so I have an extra mini skimmer)
1603320310113.png

Yes, as you can notice, I bought some water conditioner and Ammonium to do the trick. After a lot of reading and research, I know it's preferable to use RO/DI water and all that, but it would be too hard to do it because of my circumstances. So I went the "easy" (?) way and bought that. In case anyone is interested in how I am cycling my tank, I will explain later.

I put the rock in to test how it will look, but for some reason, I took it out and put sand first and then the stone. After I did this, I read that some people prefer to put the rock first and then the sand; oh well, too late!

1603320513117.png

1603320629122.png

1603320664961.png

Water in (pretty cloudy)
1603320783832.png

NEXT DAY (I can see clearly now)
1603320815924.png

My new stand came and now you can see the set up (loving it)
This is day 8!
1603320859628.png

What I am doing to cycle my tank:
- Day 1 I used Ammonium to give it a kick to the cycle, the levels have been between 2ppm and 4ppm
- Day 6 I saw some Nitrite poping, 1ppm (baby steps)
- Day 7 Nitrate baby!!
I added a little bit more of Ammonium to keep those babies fed. So of course the levels went up to the roof, so I did a water change.
- Day 8 Ammonium is back to 4ppm, Nitrite at 2ppm, and Nitrate at 80ppm

I am hoping tomorrow the Ammonium and Nitrate will go down as they should. Will keep you posted! ;)

This is my first tank, so all I do is read about it and try to get it right with the tools I have. I am open to ideas, suggestions, and comments that can help me learn the way!

I really appreciate any help you can provide. <--image doesn't want to go away! 1603320269557.png

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard !

I will always recommend RO/DI water for watcher changes and although I know the size of NYC apartments as that's what I do for a living you can find a spot to setup a unit in your laundry closet to a 5 gallon repurposed water jug or a small bucket. It will save you 100 headaches

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard !

I will always recommend RO/DI water for watcher changes and although I know the size of NYC apartments as that's what I do for a living you can find a spot to setup a unit in your laundry closet to a 5 gallon repurposed water jug or a small bucket. It will save you 100 headaches

I wish I had a laundry closet ;Sorry but I will try to think where I can put something like that (not very clear at the moment) Thanks for the advice!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a laundry closet ;Sorry but I will try to think where I can put something like that (not very clear at the moment) Thanks for the advice!
Under your sink a unit would fit and when you're making water you can run a small 1/4 line to somewhere secluded to fill a bucket.

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates here. It took me a little bit more than two weeks to cycle the tank... I have two clownfish at the moment. The same day I got the fish I bought 3 corals (they passed away, because of my lack of research)
I added an intank media basket in the second chamber and some chemi-pure to bring down the phosphates.
Here my babies
758827C1-4C19-4F2D-B2EE-50092469210E.jpeg

This weekend I want to get some friends to help with the cleaning tasks and try again with the corals. I’ve been reading about aclimate and dipping them. Let’s see how it goes.
Any advice?

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning, and during my daily contemplation of the tanks, I realized the rock has some little tints of green. I am guessing is entering the ugly face, is that right? Is there a way to prevent it? Is there something I need to look for or do? Do I really need to turn off the lights? Meaning no corals? Really?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

DSC_7456.jpg

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back