14 days in copper then sterile tank question?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly constitutes a sterile tank?

If I use a seeded sponge and Seachem matrix seeded in DT and then transfered into a new 10G, new HOB filter, is that still sterile?

Once I transfer a fish out of copper for 14 days into a sterile tank, do I need to dispose of the previous sponge and matrix, and use a newly seeded sponge and matrix from DT and bleach the tank, heater, HOB filter in order to make it sterile again?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I use a seeded sponge and Seachem matrix seeded in DT and then transfered into a new 10G, new HOB filter, is that still sterile?

Once I transfer a fish out of copper for 14 days into a sterile tank, do I need to dispose of the previous sponge and matrix, and use a newly seeded sponge and matrix from DT and bleach the tank, heater, HOB filter in order to make it sterile again?
Yes, that would be considered sterile.

I'm not as familiar with the matrix, but you will want to dispose of the sponge. The rest of the tank equipment should be bleached and then let it dry for a few days before using it again.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would say a sterile tank is free and clear of any parasites, bacteria and diseases. I newly set up tank or bleached tank running nothing from an existing tank and seeded with a bottle of bacteria to ensure it's safe for the animal.
I personally clean the sponges i use in my QT HOB filters. Everything from a QT tank is in the tub with bleach before i would consider it sterile again.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back