15 Alk too high?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I ordered mag and salinity tests again and they are coming today. Should I retest and see what to do about the water or see if I can buy the RODI and clear out the entire tank? That will be harder but im fine to see if I can.
There's no rush for any one solution, but you need a way to accurately test your salinity and you will always need water so getting an rodi unit is on my must have list, I've bought water from the fish store before too, but if your serious about this and will be doing it for a while get a rodi unit, it will save you money and time in the long run. Then a few 5g buckets to mix the salt and water in, but again this is all just basic reefing at this point you can't just ask for answers to the test , you need to learn the material by physically doing and researching then it will start to make sense to you, dont buy a bunch of stuff before you do more research, a good start is BRS how to videos, but you gotta want to learn not just get the answers.

But you will be fine you are in no bad situation, you have no fish no live stock your fine, now just tune your water and practice at it like anything and you will get it!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My params are super high so I dont really know how to get those down. Just water changes like someone said?

Im not nearly so negative on the existing values as others. They may be real or test error, but are fine if real to start off (IMO).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol relatable. So just to make sure, good alkalinity creates oxygen exchange so I dont need nor should point powerheads at surface?

That’s not a correct statement. Oxygenation is unrelated to alkalinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a pair of clownfish to help cycling

I’m not a fan of cycling with fish. It’s unnecessarily stressful and is no advantage over other methods.

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Is this one good? It says it will take 24 hours to fill up my tank (55 gallons) So not really desirable

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im probably not going to do that. Just go to the store and buy ammonia.
Not just any ammonia, make sure it doesn’t have any colors or perfumes added to it. I think Ace Hardware sells what you are looking for.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this one good? It says it will take 24 hours to fill up my tank (55 gallons) So not really desirable

There are a number of people that use one. I do not care for it due to the proprietary filters you have to use.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you reccommend?

Something that has standard 10" canisters

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Something that has standard 10" canisters

Im looking for something a little less expensive

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Because I have to run back and forth every time the bucket fills up. But if it does 50 gallons in 24 hours... I cant really do that

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It was tap. But now im gonna do RODI water. Buying this:

That is what I would do too. Just do the water and stick with the hob for now.

you will also need clean water for topping off the tank every day, so the rodi is a good investment.

You will get about 100-200 gallons (maybe more) out of the DI resin, then you replace that. The resin can be bought in a bag and you refill it yourself or you can buy a replacement prefilled cartridge. You change it when it changes from blue to brown. Here is a link to the prefilled cartridge:
Aquatic Life DI Color Changing Mixed Bed Resin Cartridge

To drain the tank, you can just run a hose to a drain and suck on it to start a siphon. Or get a little pump And tubing:
SICCE MICRAPLUS Compact Aquarium Pump, 158 GPH, for submerged use in freshwater and saltwater

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back