15 gallon stocking - no lid

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nutrients are starting to bottom out in my 15 gallon water box, so I’m thinking of adding a new fish to help mitigate the issue. I’d really prefer not to add a lid, what fish would you recommend? Anyone know any non-aggressive damsels that could maybe work? Are there any nano fish that won’t jump?

Current stocking is a bangaii and a gramma. I’ve attached a picture of the tank to show how much rockwork/ hiding places are present (not much). Thanks!

98FD022B-77C3-4EE8-83BB-989D0117C87B.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome!
Any fish can jump if scared. But with that said I run 3 tanks with no lids. A possum wrasse might do well in there. Also it might sound silly but if you want to add fish just so you can feed more maybe acclimate a few freshwater mollies and add them? They even pick at algae on the the rocks and glass. And if you add a couple females and a male they'll provide a source of food with the babies :winking-face:

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome!
Any fish can jump if scared. But with that said I run 3 tanks with no lids. A possum wrasse might do well in there. Also it might sound silly but if you want to add fish just so you can feed more maybe acclimate a few freshwater mollies and add them? They even pick at algae on the the rocks and glass. And if you add a couple females and a male they'll provide a source of food with the babies :winking-face:
Thanks man! Aren’t possum wrasses know jumpers? I’d love one if itd stay in the tank lol. I’m considering going for mollies, would be a good utilitarian fish, but I’m not sure if I can get over having a freshwater looking fish in a reef system :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 15 gallon (no lid) has a RG, 2 masked goby's, one neon blue goby, one redhead goby, green and black clown gobies. Its a lot of fish, but all those goby's put together are smaller than the RG.

Any goby really, would be a nice addition in a 15 gallon tank, and IME, they are not jumpers

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about instead of fish a couple of snails to tackle the algae?
I’m actually not bother about how the algae looks in the system, it pretty much never grows any longer than what you can see in the picture (due to my lack of nutrients I can imagine). My CUC is lacking at the moment tho so your probably right.

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 15 gallon (no lid) has a RG, 2 masked goby's, one neon blue goby, one redhead goby, green and black clown gobies. Its a lot of fish, but all those goby's put together are smaller than the RG.

Any goby really, would be a nice addition in a 15 gallon tank, and IME, they are not jumpers
Clown gobies aren’t jumpers? They’re some of my favourite fish, id love a few in this system but I’ve only kept them with mesh lids in the past. Anyone have any experience with them jumping?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually not bother about how the algae looks in the system, it pretty much never grows any longer than what you can see in the picture (due to my lack of nutrients I can imagine). My CUC is lacking at the moment tho so your probably right.
I'm not bothered by some tank algae either. I look at the scenario.....add another fish, feed it, algae grows more and over takes corals.

The algae is "in tank food" and may be the reason for low nutrients....so release some of those nutrients in the form of snail poop.

Or you could just add a pinch of coral food like Reef Roids and see what that does.

FWIW I'm a less is better when it comes to fish stocking....I only have three fish in a 29 gallon.

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not bothered by some tank algae either. I look at the scenario.....add another fish, feed it, algae grows more and over takes corals.

The algae is "in tank food" and may be the reason for low nutrients....so release some of those nutrients in the form of snail poop.

Or you could just add a pinch of coral food like Reef Roids and see what that does.

FWIW I'm a less is better when it comes to fish stocking....I only have three fish in a 29 gallon.
You very much could be right. Im on the fence right now if algae is what’s causing my nutrient issue.

Im leaning more towards “no” for a few reasons; This rock used to be covered in bubble algae, over the last 3 months it has pretty much entirely disappeared (on its own). I get next to no algae growth on the glass and only have to wipe it down weekly. The hair algae currently seen on the rocks is old growth, spots I clean don’t tend to grow back (or at least take weeks to grow to current levels).

But I take your suggestion on board and will try upping my CUC count.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't trust any fish not to jump...I have lost many non jumpers over the years lol (lionfish, clowns, etc.). I went without a lid for years with no issues, then it seemed like I was losing them weekly.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just put a mesh lid on , nothing spiked it but anything can happen I’ve had clowns in the tank for 2 years and they haven’t jumped. It all depends on the fish

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back