150 Stocking list

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just set up a 150 and was looking at the following stock..

2x clownfish
2x tangs (powder blue and either yellow or tomini)
1x fox face (one spot but may not bring him along its in my old tank)
1x yellow wrasse
?x more wrasses just don't know maybe 2-3 total including the yellow above
?x anthias don't know which or how many, all of mine currently in QT have since passed except one and she's a lyretail so I MAY pick up 4 more

? = I want them just don't know which or how many

That's what I was planning on doing, what do you guys think? Should I add or take away or keep it just as it is?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that list. It has a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes, a lot of activity, and should all be compatible.

You can always do more wrasses and anthias. Fairy and flasher wrasses will do well. Hardier anthias will work too.

Bryce Peterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a personal preference question, but here's my 2c: M/f pair of flasher wrasses, m/f pair of blue throat triggers, Starry blenny,
Zebra moray.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a personal preference question, but here's my 2c: M/f pair of flasher wrasses, m/f pair of blue throat triggers, Starry blenny,
Zebra moray.
As a wrasse lover, I strongly recommend against a m/f pair of wrasses. As Protogynous hermaphrodites gender is based on social situations, most prominently male aggression toward females, however in aquaria, female flasher and fairy wrasses have a tendency to transition to males. Aggression between males of the same species is far greater than males of a different species. Males will still display to males of different species.

reefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the 5 foot or 6 foot 150? I've been thinking about a 5 foot 150 and wanting those same tangs. Just make sure to add the powder blue and yellow tang last, and at the same time. As I've read powder blues can get aggressive to new comers.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully kept a yellow tang, then weeks later added a powder blue and my last addition was a purple tang. The powder blue was the most aggressive but size does matter. The yellow tang was a medium size then the powder a little smaller and the purple was the largest and last to be added. I would also make sure they are well fed and I would set up clips in different locations of the tank for feeding.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it the 5 foot or 6 foot 150? I've been thinking about a 5 foot 150 and wanting those same tangs. Just make sure to add the powder blue and yellow tang last, and at the same time. As I've read powder blues can get aggressive to new comers.
I would certainly add any tang as my last addition and my tank is 5x2x2

I wouldn't put two tangs in a 150. especially a powder blue.
Why not? Most sites I go to recommend 125, not trying to start an argument just trying to get all info I can.

I have successfully kept a yellow tang, then weeks later added a powder blue and my last addition was a purple tang. The powder blue was the most aggressive but size does matter. The yellow tang was a medium size then the powder a little smaller and the purple was the largest and last to be added. I would also make sure they are well fed and I would set up clips in different locations of the tank for feeding.
What size tank were they in? I'm assuming a 120 by your name.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep 120 gallon. I'm also aware that we all have different ideas on how many fish to keep in a tank. Some go by inches of fish etc etc... My rule has always been 1 fish per 10 gallons of water. I know this may seem conservative but it has served me well over the last 12 years. Hope this helps. [emoji4]

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 33 35.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 54.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.3%
Back