180 canopy yay or nay???

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180/ meas. 24"/24"/72". I love my open top but I like the display to be the focal point.I've never had a covered tank and would appreciate any input as to why I should or shouldn't. My lights are led and I built the stand .thanks
IMG_20140813_200123.jpg

ghellin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes, while we "dig" our open tops with powerful LEDs our friends and family members may be blinded by the light.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple reasons.....

The blinding effect, as mentioned.

Fish carpet surfing.

Reflecting that spill-over light back into the tank.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 as well, went with a canopy from the beginning and it was very shallow for any type of fixture a reef tank would have. I was able to get a Monterey canopy that is more than twice its height and its awesome quality. I would definitely look into them if I were you. I'm not sure how high you have your fixtures but if you end up getting a canopy you may need to bring them down a bit.

Coraloliseffect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
open top. but a visor on the light to direct light escaping form the tank back into the tank, and keep onlookers form being blinded.

OP
OP
tcarter1936

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , I will be building it myself so not worried about heighth, my main concern would be temperature control , but I keep a cool house and had heater going all summer .then there is moisture from evaporation. What sealer is safe.or epoxy only? Thanks for the input

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , I will be building it myself so not worried about heighth, my main concern would be temperature control , but I keep a cool house and had heater going all summer .then there is moisture from evaporation. What sealer is safe.or epoxy only? Thanks for the input

Cut holes in the top of my canopy to vent the LEDs, mine is plumbed to the basement so I am not all too concerned about heat. If your house rarely gets above 80 or so I wouldn't worry.

Hentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CANOPY!!! I switched to LED's and the light spill was bad in my bedroom. So I made a super light and simple canopy I can easily slide on and off.

Works wonders and I can even take better pictures of my tank without the light spilling into my camera.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back