180 Gal Rimless Road to Bankruptcy

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my Build thread that will be following my new to me Planet Aquariums rimless 180 that is hopefully completed before I'm broke :face-with-tears-of-joy: . I'm hoping to stay on top of regular updates as I navigate the setup and overall maintenance of the system. First and foremost any and all advice, tips and general constructive criticism is very welcome here. A little about myself, I have been reefing for a year, but spend the better part of two years prior to my first setup obsessing about all things reef tank related. The 40 gal I currently have has been what I'd say fairly successful with of course a few hiccups along the way . So I'd consider myself a fairly novice reefer and am looking to learn more and more about this wonderful hobby. Along the way I somehow convinced my wife to a rather substantial upgrade lucky me lol. This system will be closed loop so plumbing may be a tad bit tricky for me lol, but overall I'm excited to take a crack at it and see how it goes. Aquascape I'm thinking about going for an NSA style.

Equipment:
lights- 2x Reefbreed photon 32-V2 pros (toying around with the idea of running them with a T5 hybrid fixture)
Closed loop pump- Dart/Snapper 3600/2600 pump
Closed loop wavemaker- Oceans Motions 4 way
Sump- Trigger ruby red 36
Return pump- WILL UPDATE
Skimmer- WILL UPDATE
Controllers- Apex along with a trident
Fuge light- Cheapo Coralife LED
(I'm sure I've missed something and will update the equipment list as I go through my stuff)

Plumbing:
-The tank itself has 5 holes drilled for the closed loop and 4 holes drilled in the overflow all measuring 1' after bulkheads. See pictures for reference. Current plan is to run a Herbie method for sump overflow and return (overflow lines 1" and return lines 3/4"). I'm thinking the middle holes for overflow and the outer two for return.
-As for the closed loop I'm thinking about using the back two holes for the suction lines and the middle/fronts for return. The Middle with a T providing two nozzles to point left and right (I'm thinking roughly 6"-8" from the bottom of the tank) with the front two stubbing up with 45s angling it towards the overflow box. This is all in theory as I need to make sure I can either cap on of the 4 channels from the Oceans Motions or run 2 into 1. Any insight someone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated. See rough drawings for reference.

Livestock:
fish- I haven't done too much thinking about fish stocking other than what's in my 40gal currently and some tangs. More will be added to this after I conquer the plumbing and aquascape
Coral- will me mixed reef focused possibly more SPS dominant.

Looking forward to the journey and all the help I will likely receive along the way! I hope some of y'all join me!

IMG_6341.JPG
IMG_6347.JPG
IMG_6348.JPG
IMG_6357.JPG
IMG_6358.JPG

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a nice tank !! Like the build title as well.. My only suggestion is possibly consider a DC pump for CL. I had quite a few reeflo pumps. There is a fair amount of heat transfer , not the most energy efficient (yes there are worse ) but mainly due to electric pump w/ wet seal you have to keep a close eye on on them . I have had mixed results on the seals as I had a hammerhead and snapper seal go out but had a barracuda go 12+ years w/o leak ..

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a nice tank !! Like the build title as well.. My only suggestion is possibly consider a DC pump for CL. I had quite a few reeflo pumps. There is a fair amount of heat transfer , not the most energy efficient (yes there are worse ) but mainly due to electric pump w/ wet seal you have to keep a close eye on on them . I have had mixed results on the seals as I had a hammerhead and snapper seal go out but had a barracuda go 12+ years w/o leak ..
I will definitely keep that in mind. The original owner bought this pump within the last 3 months or so. I’ll probably run this one til it needs replacing at which time I’ll probably look into other options.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely keep that in mind. The original owner bought this pump within the last 3 months or so. I’ll probably run this one til it needs replacing at which time I’ll probably look into other options.
I tend to think the higher RPM pump's seals go out faster. Swapping the gaskets is not that hard to do you just have to keep an eye on the seals. I usually would just have a gasket kid on standby just in case.

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think the higher RPM pump's seals go out faster. Swapping the gaskets is not that hard to do you just have to keep an eye on the seals. I usually would just have a gasket kid on standby just in case.
Great info! do you know if I have to go straight to the manufacturer for purchase replacement seals?

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! do you know if I have to go straight to the manufacturer for purchase replacement seals?
If I recall I had one pump that was still under warranty that we sent back to mfr. I believe it was reeflo that I got gasket kit from as well. I still have a pump in my garage and I may still have a gasket kit that I never used.

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall I had one pump that was still under warranty that we sent back to mfr. I believe it was reeflo that I got gasket kit from as well. I still have a pump in my garage and I may still have a gasket kit that I never used.
Well if you ever feel like parting ways with it shoot me a message and we can try an work something out.

might be a couple months before I’d be able to purchase anything after all this pvc and rock lol :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update regarding the closed loop portion of the system:

After some discussion with some fellow reefers my original idea is not a good one :face-with-tears-of-joy:. I will be drilling out the center hole to 1.5" for the 'drain' line and using the back and from drilled holes for return. I'm thinking a male adapter into the bulkheads with 45s pointing towards their adjacent 45.

I will be doing some (hopefully all) of the plumbing this weekend so be on the lookout for updates and pictures! :cool:

CHASDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you planning to use sand? I had a 4x2x2 120g and ran a closed loop with a snapper and OM 4 way valve 15 years ago. If you run sand you will have to clean the OM valve because it will jam up and stop turning. I would have slip fittings in the tank and true union ball valves below at each input/ output. Over time your ball valves will likely leak when having to do maintenance on the valve. With slip fittings you could put slip plugs in the top of the bulkheads to swap out the center of the ball valves. Buy extra as mfg change their design. Run the suction tube up off the bottom to keep debris out and install a screen or slot the pipe with a table saw to keep livestock out. Instead of doing all rigid pvc pipe underneath, use spa flex so you have some give. I had a drain valve down low so I could drain out the water from the closed loop[ pipes to do maintenance when needed, otherwise once you unscrew any union the water in the pipes will leak into your stand. Have a shop vac on stand by.

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to use sand? I had a 4x2x2 120g and ran a closed loop with a snapper and OM 4 way valve 15 years ago. If you run sand you will have to clean the OM valve because it will jam up and stop turning. I would have slip fittings in the tank and true union ball valves below at each input/ output. Over time your ball valves will likely leak when having to do maintenance on the valve. With slip fittings you could put slip plugs in the top of the bulkheads to swap out the center of the ball valves. Buy extra as mfg change their design. Run the suction tube up off the bottom to keep debris out and install a screen or slot the pipe with a table saw to keep livestock out. Instead of doing all rigid pvc pipe underneath, use spa flex so you have some give. I had a drain valve down low so I could drain out the water from the closed loop[ pipes to do maintenance when needed, otherwise once you unscrew any union the water in the pipes will leak into your stand. Have a shop vac on stand by.
Planning on a 2” sand bed tops. You think even if I had the intake raised 4”-6” above the intake it will still suck in sand? If so, how often did you clean the drum of the OM?
What is the setback if I do all rigid?
All in all I greatly appreciate the solid advice

Think About It GIF by Identity

CHASDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Blue spot jawfish that would burrow and occasionally kick up enough that a few grains would make it's way in. My intake was a tee with end caps and only had slots on the top, maybe 8 inches off the bottom pane. Once biofilm builds up on the sand it will get better.

You could do it rigid but I think it's safer with a combination of flex and rigid fittings so you have some give/ flex. Lowes has spa flex by the foot. I think it's safer then vinyl tubing and hose barbs especially since a failure would drain the tank and cause a salinity drop as you ato tries to top off.

Honestly I'd only clean the drum when it got stuck. You will hear a clicking noise as the magnet brakes free and rotates, repells and reattaches. Getting the drum out sometimes requires complete removal of the valve with its pipes so you can turn it over and pop it out. There is nothing really to grab on the drum. and then you need to add saltwater to make up for what was in the pipes, so partial water change too.

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have officially obtained all of the plumbing I think I am going to need (I did purchase some extras just in case). I attempted to dry fit with water soluble lube, but the pvc still did not seat fully into the fittings. I'm toying around the with the idea of using Vaseline and cleaning up the pvc and fittings with isopropyl alcohol prior to gluing. Otherwise, I will be doing the good ole fashion glue and pray. Any dry fitting recommendations/tips would be greatly appreciated,
Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

I decided to go all rigid since I find it more visually appealing. I'm using sch 40 fittings/valves with 200psi sch 40 pipe. The only sch 80 fittings will be unions and the 1" spears gate valve. The suction line on the closed loop portion I am going to "tree" out to three intakes with threaded screens. All my threaded fittings I am going to use aquarium silicon in lieu Teflon. Hopefully by the end of next weekend I will have everything plumbed and glued. Then the aquascape fun will begin!

Plumbing.jpg

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some time yesterday to get started on dry fitting. Unfortunately didn’t get nearly as far as I hoped. Need to make another run to Lowe’s to snag up a little soft hose for plumbing the return. I wanted to have the sump overflow and return ‘plumbed’ and have the closed loop run around that. Hopefully not much longer til the plumbing is done

I plumbed the main overflow line to the refugium section of the sump (on the left) and the emergency to a sock filter (on the right) this one I need to add roughly 1”-1.5” in length to make the run. You can see in the picture the need for a bit more length. So far I’m liking how it looks, hopefully that’s still true after a continue adding.

83EAA23F-900D-4B7B-A76A-A236301E872B.jpeg

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s been quite awhile since my last update! I have since finished the below tank plumbing leaving only what’s needed in my over flow box. All in all the plumbing when fairly well for the most part.

I have also began gluing my rock scape together. Been targeting an NSA style scape and few I’ve done alright . Should finish my last structure this week. Have my sand coming in next week. Should hopefully have’er wet within the next few weeks!

IMG_7260.jpeg
IMG_7259.jpeg
IMG_7258.jpeg

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s been quite awhile since my last update! I have since finished the below tank plumbing leaving only what’s needed in my over flow box. All in all the plumbing when fairly well for the most part.

I have also began gluing my rock scape together. Been targeting an NSA style scape and few I’ve done alright . Should finish my last structure this week. Have my sand coming in next week. Should hopefully have’er wet within the next few weeks!

IMG_7260.jpeg
IMG_7259.jpeg
IMG_7258.jpeg
Looking good. Still using the pump?
lots of fittings lol.
Thankfully you named the thread appropriately.

OP
OP
Lucardious

Lucardious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Still using the pump?
lots of fittings lol.
Thankfully you named the thread appropriately.
Still plan on using that pump for the time being. I was just looking over the previous replies and planned on looking for a diagram of the pump to get familiar with the overall location of the seals and gaskets. I did make the center hole larger to 1-1/2" so I can match the inlet of different pumps when the time comes to switch it out.

Those fittings broke it off in me for sure lol. I wanted to make sure ever line had a valve to isolate in case of emergencies. I added a manifold that I plugged in case I add any reactors in the future. you can also see where I had to do some MacGyver'in to properly reach the union in the last pic.

Guess you could say I knew what I was getting in to :grinning-face-with-sweat: the wife hasn't let me forget it yet either.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back