180 gallon sea turtle lagoon

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank. I love how it almost looks freshwater if I didn’t recognize the angel!

What salinity do you run it at?

Do the turtles need a place to get out of the water to rest and bask?

Last edited:
OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Are they brackish fish or true saltwater. I'm very jealous!

Thanks! There are monos which start out as fresh but eventually are full saltwater fish, a couple mollies, some damsels, a butterfly, a hawk fish and an emperor angel. So true saltwater fish. The salinity runs about 1.019-1.020 so right around FOWLR levels. These terrapins are often found in the surf etc. in full saltwater. I provide them with freshwater every other day or so, and I am working on a spot where they can have access to freshwater always.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really intrigued with this! Can you share more about the conditions? How long you've kept them? I've been hinted at we need turtles and had looked at these before. Are you able to keep them at full salinity if given access to freshwater?

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was wondering the same. I think they are brackish but conditioned for SW??
that is my best guess anyway...

OP supper cool project. more retails plz :D

Thanks! The salinity is about 1.019-1.020 so near FOWLR levels. The fish are true saltwater fish (other than the mollies)

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank. I love how it almost looks freshwater if I didn’t recognize the angel!

What salinity do you run it at?

Do the turtles need a place to get out of the water to rest and bask?

Thanks! It’s at about 1.019-1.020.

The turtles mostly surface bask at this point (still juveniles) but they can climb out in the canopy and they do some.

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really intrigued with this! Can you share more about the conditions? How long you've kept them? I've been hinted at we need turtles and had looked at these before. Are you able to keep them at full salinity if given access to freshwater?

The salinity is about 1.019-1.020. I have had the terrapins since March and started them around 1.010 and gradually went up. I take them out every other day or so and feed them in freshwater so they can drink too. I plan to give them access to freshwater at all times from the tank (working on this as a place in the canopy they can climb into)

These are ornate DBT which naturally occur on the gulf coast of Florida, often in full marine water. They typically are in the salt flats etc, which experience swings in salinity. Other DBT variants aren’t as tolerant as I understand.

That is caulerpa prolifera growing on the bottom and there are a few other macros in there. I plan to add more, also there are several mangroves growing.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are ornate DBT which naturally occur on the gulf coast of Florida, often in full marine water. They typically are in the salt flats etc, which experience swings in salinity. Other DBT variants aren’t as tolerant as I understand.

Awesome! would you share where you got them?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really cool! I used to volunteer at a sea turtle hatching/rehab facility in Puerto Vallarta (it was this organization that had programs at a lot of the hotels and resorts to help the sea turtles that would lay eggs on their beaches). Was really interesting and rewarding, but kind of depressing at the same time (a lot of sick and injured turtles). I’ve always wanted to have a sea turtle tank, but I just don’t know that it’d be possible in a home aquarium (nevermind the legalities - when I came back to the US, I had a Ridley’s shell that was from a turtle found dead on the beach, and I had a nightmare getting it through customs, but they eventually just turned a blind eye to it and let me keep it).
Anyway, cool tank! I’m going to do some research about these terrapins (they just seem kind of interesting).

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really cool! I used to volunteer at a sea turtle hatching/rehab facility in Puerto Vallarta (it was this organization that had programs at a lot of the hotels and resorts to help the sea turtles that would lay eggs on their beaches). Was really interesting and rewarding, but kind of depressing at the same time (a lot of sick and injured turtles). I’ve always wanted to have a sea turtle tank, but I just don’t know that it’d be possible in a home aquarium (nevermind the legalities - when I came back to the US, I had a Ridley’s shell that was from a turtle found dead on the beach, and I had a nightmare getting it through customs, but they eventually just turned a blind eye to it and let me keep it).
Anyway, cool tank! I’m going to do some research about these terrapins (they just seem kind of interesting).
Thanks! They are extremely interesting.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, years ago a guy getting a puppy from us said I should get some of these turtles for my nano xD I thought he was insane until I recently learned that they are tolerant of saltwater. Turns out they are illegal to own in my state (GA) so even if I had wanted to I couldn't lol Beautiful tank nonetheless! Keep us updated!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I used to keep them many years ago because they are very common here on Long Island New York and I see some every time I take my boat out. The small ones are really cool.

Of course I eventually let them go.

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough, years ago a guy getting a puppy from us said I should get some of these turtles for my nano xD I thought he was insane until I recently learned that they are tolerant of saltwater. Turns out they are illegal to own in my state (GA) so even if I had wanted to I couldn't lol Beautiful tank nonetheless! Keep us updated!
Thanks, sure will!

Back