180 gallon sea turtle lagoon

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank!

I was thinking about adding a diamondback terrapin to my 720 and found your thread. I figured it could make it a small platform with a dish that is continually refreshed from the ATO where it could also bask under a halide. How much flow can they handle? Any other tips regarding their husbandry in saltwater? (I had a freshwater turtle tank many years ago). Do you have more info regarding the ornate DBT vs other varieties in terms of suitability for saltwater?

Thanks! And again, awesome tank!

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank!

I was thinking about adding a diamondback terrapin to my 720 and found your thread. I figured it could make it a small platform with a dish that is continually refreshed from the ATO where it could also bask under a halide. How much flow can they handle? Any other tips regarding their husbandry in saltwater? (I had a freshwater turtle tank many years ago). Do you have more info regarding the ornate DBT vs other varieties in terms of suitability for saltwater?

Thanks! And again, awesome tank!
I am planning something similar for the freshwater access. Although, I will probably just empty and refresh this one manually. Freshwater is key, as they will need to drink and rinse off regularly. I get mine out at least every 2 days and mostly every other day for a dip

I would say as hatchlings up to yearlings, strong flow could be an issue, but as they grow they can handle it, they are fantastic swimmers.

They are pretty easy to keep as far as eating and all, mine eat anything. Small, slow fish would be included haha…

from my reading, Ornates are more salt tolerant than others. They are frequently found in salt marshes on the gulf which can range from brackish to full marine. They are also found along the beaches at times. I would say, I wouldn’t put them with corals, anemones, etc. as they are curious and clumsy and eat everything haha

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in NY they live in full salt salt marshes but I have also seen them in the Long Island Sound. I hve not seen that they need fresh water and in the places I find them here, there isn't really any freshwater near them.

They will eat all the fiddler crabs you give them.

They are very common here in this small bay. I never saw them basking in the sun like freshwater turtles but they can stay motionless at the surface with their head sticking out of the water. They only come ashore to lay eggs.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to have one of these that laid eggs in our yard for many years. I would raise the hatchlings until they were a few inches long and release them. How is the poop issue? Mine produced an immense amount of waste!

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in NY they live in full salt salt marshes but I have also seen them in the Long Island Sound. I hve not seen that they need fresh water and in the places I find them here, there isn't really any freshwater near them.

They will eat all the fiddler crabs you give them.

They are very common here in this small bay. I never saw them basking in the sun like freshwater turtles but they can stay motionless at the surface with their head sticking out of the water. They only come ashore to lay eggs.

That’s cool, thanks for sharing. It has been observed/recorded that they drink freshwater when it rains, etc. from puddles, leaves etc.

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to have one of these that laid eggs in our yard for many years. I would raise the hatchlings until they were a few inches long and release them. How is the poop issue? Mine produced an immense amount of waste!

poop isn’t terrible, most of the time they take care of that in the freshwater bucket when they are eating. They are still small though, so I would expect that output to increase haha

CLR2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this. I might do something similar in the future depending on your results. This is a very unique setup.

xarkaden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear an update as I am about to move my DBT to A very similar setup. how did the freshwater access fair out and what is your current salinity/params

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear an update as I am about to move my DBT to A very similar setup. how did the freshwater access fair out and what is your current salinity/params

We sold our home and I took the 180 down, the DBT were given to a friend while we bought a new home etc. I got them back, but have them in an 80 shallow now. Similar style tank with calupera and roots etc.

They are doing great, salinity is at 1.020 and the macro grows well. I let them eat in freshwater every other day or so. I have a couple damsels in there with them and plan to add a small Angel at some point.
Here are a few pics of their setup. I’m planning to upgrade them to a 6’ tank with some mangroves at some point.
31E9FF42-E2B3-4C9E-93A4-B4C72928CC6B.jpeg
04F04823-0B3F-484B-A065-5F16223C8F38.jpeg
BDE7952C-7381-4D92-AB9C-7D7D8A473AA1.jpeg

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the coolest and most unique projects I've seen! Would love to see an update when you move them into the 6' tank. Definitely following this thread!

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an amazing tank. Never seen anything like it. It really.looks like a freshwater tank until you recognize the saltwater fish. Freaking awesome.

How is your filtration situation? About the only thing I know about turtles is that they create a lot of waste.

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an amazing tank. Never seen anything like it. It really.looks like a freshwater tank until you recognize the saltwater fish. Freaking awesome.

How is your filtration situation? About the only thing I know about turtles is that they create a lot of waste.

Thanks, feeding them out of the tank definitely helps. But I do also feed them in the tank too a few times a week. I am running a big Fluval canister and do frequent water changes.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 80 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 96 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.6%
Back