1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen I've got 20+ years experience. Your dead wrong, period.

That sixth grade biology class you took, is the basics, not the end all be all.

A gulf mantis can kill things up to five times it's size. Care to dispute me? Cause I have scientific articles to prove I'm right. Not just my 13 year old teenager brain telling me I'm right.
ars you talking about spearers or crushers

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could teach me like about cheap diy things I can do to improve my tank
We tried to tell you that it isn’t viable and won’t be sufficient to try unless you have years of experience and figured out all of the fine points and still have fallbacks. You won’t listen.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crushers basically punch spearers are sharp and stab your fish, if I have tiny fish like blennies and gobies and basslet, they would either not be considered a Threat if the shrimp is well fed or they would avoid the shrimp

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention the live rocks will bring in ich and velvet and other likely parasites.

You’re looking at a 45 day fallow minimum after you put in that rock.
Will is an overstatement, especially for fresh harvested liverock. Velvet is almost an absolute heck no. Ich is pretty minimal too. If by some absolute freal chance a tomont hit the rock the day it was being harvested it still generally sits in vats days or weeks and then there is time for ammonia cycle to settle out, maybe... There is a chance but incredibly low.

Now rock hooked up to an LFS system or from another hobbyist system, absolutely should fallow and really I wouldn't do it unless I cured it for months in a blacked out rubbermaid out of fear of aiptasia and a multitude of other pests.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crushers basically punch spearers are sharp and stab your fish, if I have tiny fish like blennies and gobies and basslet, they would either not be considered a Threat if the shrimp is well fed or they would avoid the shrimp
Or the shrimp would feel a little hungry and kill it anyway.
Both will eat whatever they catch.
You can keep a piranha well fed and let the tetra avoid it. The piranha will still kill the tetra because it is hardwired to do so.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or the shrimp would feel a little hungry and kill it anyway.
Both will eat whatever they catch.
You can keep a piranha well fed and let the tetra avoid it. The piranha will still kill the tetra because it is hardwired to do so.
Phirannas don’t predate on tetras in the wild, they eat freshwater sponges, microfauna and they swarm stuff

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will is an overstatement, especially for fresh harvested liverock. Velvet is almost an absolute heck no. Ich is pretty minimal too. If by some absolute freal chance a tomont hit the rock the day it was being harvested it still generally sits in vats days or weeks and then there is time for ammonia cycle to settle out, maybe... There is a chance but incredibly low.

Now rock hooked up to an LFS system or from another hobbyist system, absolutely should fallow and really I wouldn't do it unless I cured it for months in a blacked out rubbermaid out of fear of aiptasia and a multitude of other pests.
True but it’s always best to assume the worst case scenario.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept mantis for years and they like to hunt regardless of what you feed them. A very fast damsel usually is an ok tank mate.

They will kill even when not hungry and bury the food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back