2 day drip acclimating new anemone?

Christopher Parish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Black Widow anemone being delivered tomorrow and have thought about how to QT it without putting in my QT.

I just finished up QTing a firefish and sanitized afterwards. It’s only been running one day with water changed from my DT. I’d rather not put the BT in and chance it attaching to something and being a pain to get out.

I also have a .5 gallon Reef Gently Acclimate and am thinking about drip acclimating (slowest possible with blue accli-stick all the way in) for 2 or 3 days.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be afraid the bag water was filled with vomit and excrement that the nem eliminated during transportation. I would want to get it into clean water sooner than 2 hours.

If there was ever copper in the QT I wouldn't put an invert in there.

My 2 cents.

Texas_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a rainbow anemone delivered last week, temp acclimated then drip acclimated for 30-45 min straight in the tank afterwards with no problem. Well besides getting it to settle in where I wanted.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how you'd manage temperature even if you were to acclimate it for 2 days.

For all of my nems, I just acclimate for 30 minutes, if that. Sometimes I just remove them and dump the right into the tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Temp acclimate for 30, verify salinity +1

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. I think the top priority for an anemone is to get it settled as quickly as possible in a mature tank under good lighting.

A too long quarantine is just another delay spent in sub optimal conditions...

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the original post is about trying to quarantine the nem. I did mine for the 78 days just like any coral, fish or invert. I’d just pick up a 10g if you are worried about the fish qt having copper. I don’t put any fish in my coral and invert qt.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above and think the OP knows what they are doing. But going to add info for other new reefers.

It’s very important to keep an eye on new anemones. If it declines it could use treatment with antibiotics and be saved. That helps if already in quarantine. But the biggest worry is if it starts to melt and dissolve then it could nuke your tank. Or it could float into a powerhead and get chopped up.

When acclimating the 3 important factors are temperature, PH and salinity. acclimating matches these parameters as close as possible.

If the anemone was shipped to you then it’s been in the waste water for much too long. So you want to get it out of that water sooner. So no need for a two day drip even in quarantine. water changes on the quarantine tank using the main display water is a good way to match the water parameters.

one of the biggest issues with anemones not shipping well especially from the distribution channel is because food tots inside the anemone. Then it

a bad bacterial infection and hence a decline of the anemone.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 31 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back