2 month anniversary. Question on parameters

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers. Today mark the 2 month anniversary of setting up my tank. It's 200 gallon. 160 display and 40 sump.

2 Firefish, 1 Cardinal, 1 Scooter Blenny, & 1 Flametail Blenny. All small.

1 Armor of God, 1 Rhodactis Mushroom, 1 Green Duncan, 1 Green Flower Pot, & 1 Pink Birdsnest.

Assortment of crabs and snails.

The fish and coral all seem to be doing well. Only the Flower Pot has not been extending for about a day.

Below are my parameters. My Nitrate and Phosphates are 0. Should I been concerned? What is the reason behind this? Will it raise in due time as I get more fish and waste?

Salinity 1.023 (Starting to rise by replacing RO in ATO with 1.025 SW)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phosphates: 0 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.2 dKH
Magnesium: 1300 ppm
Calcium: 360 ppm (I believe it's low because my Salinity is low)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited original post.

All corals doing well except the Flower Pot coral hasn’t extended out for about a day. Not sure if it is normal. I’ve had him for almost month now.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited original post.

All corals doing well except the Flower Pot coral hasn’t extended out for about a day. Not sure if it is normal. I’ve had him for almost month now.
Try moving it to higher flow. Ime. Not an easy critter to keep.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower Pot corals (Goniopora) are sometimes not so easy to keep even in an established tank. I find mine does better when I target feed once or twice a week.

I think for such a young tank your parameters look fine - don't start chasing numbers unless there's a need, otherwise you can cause more problems than you solve. You might want to bring the calcium up a bit if it is still low after you get your salinity to where you want it. You don't mention your water change schedule, or if you are doing any dosing (which you probably don't need at this point), but with only a few corals I'd just keep an eye on calcium and alkalinity and if water changes are not able to keep them high enough, then think about starting a little bit of two-part dosing.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower Pot corals (Goniopora) are sometimes not so easy to keep even in an established tank. I find mine does better when I target feed once or twice a week.

I think for such a young tank your parameters look fine - don't start chasing numbers unless there's a need, otherwise you can cause more problems than you solve. You might want to bring the calcium up a bit if it is still low after you get your salinity to where you want it. You don't mention your water change schedule, or if you are doing any dosing (which you probably don't need at this point), but with only a few corals I'd just keep an eye on calcium and alkalinity and if water changes are not able to keep them high enough, then think about starting a little bit of two-part dosing.

Thank you for your feedback.

I did a 15 gallon water change on 9/15 and a 20 gallon on 10/05.

I think I’ll wait until the salinity is up and then dose calcium if needed.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flower Pot corals (Goniopora) are sometimes not so easy to keep even in an established tank. I find mine does better when I target feed once or twice a week.QUOTE]

Forgot to ask. What do you feed your Flower Pot corals. I have never fed corals before.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to ask. What do you feed your Flower Pot corals. I have never fed corals before.

I feed a variety of different things, but not all at once: Bulk Reef Supply Reef Chili, Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast, Two Little Fishies Calan-Eeze, Brightwell Zooplanktos, ESV dried phytoplankton, etc. I have a little plastic squeeze bottle that came with the BRS Reef Chili, I put a little of whatever food in that along with some tank water and shake it up. Then I shut off my circulation pumps for a little while so I can squeeze the food out right into and over the corals.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a variety of different things, but not all at once: Bulk Reef Supply Reef Chili, Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast, Two Little Fishies Calan-Eeze, Brightwell Zooplanktos, ESV dried phytoplankton, etc. I have a little plastic squeeze bottle that came with the BRS Reef Chili, I put a little of whatever food in that along with some tank water and shake it up. Then I shut off my circulation pumps for a little while so I can squeeze the food out right into and over the corals.

Thank you

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Flower Pot coral is extended again. I wonder if it was the change to salinity that caused it retract and partially close.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back