2 Pairs of Clowns in my tank?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I would not normally ask this but I am wondering what you all think. I am downgrading to a 150g cube and I have 2 pair of picasso clowns that are paired up in different tanks right now. I want to add them both to the cube with a bunch of anemones. What do you think?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
36x36x24

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be a lil bit iffy.But its possible, only if the anemones are on opposite ends of the tank though. Its still iffy IMO.

Are you only wanting the anemones in the center part of the tank?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thinking of adding a bunch of different BTA's to every part of the tank and doing like a species tank.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have successfully kept 4 in a 125g but it was 6ft. They actually swapped pairs. HAHA!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the anemones will be all over the tank,I see that being a HUGE help,Id try it and see what happens,I think it might work out due to the fact the depth of the tank is quite wide and the foot print overall is larger!

Try it,if it fails just remove the pair.

Reeftank4231

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey rev...I had Perc pair, added black ocelaris pair...M perc went nose to nose all day with M ocelaris until I added new frogspawn and hammers. Peace on separate sides of tank.

FYI...both pairs totally ignore my rbta....??? No idea why.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think I would do it. Maybe in a bigger tank where theres a chance of them not seeing each other but that tank isnt long enough IMO.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the anemones will be all over the tank,I see that being a HUGE help,Id try it and see what happens,I think it might work out due to the fact the depth of the tank is quite wide and the foot print overall is larger!

Try it,if it fails just remove the pair.

I agree with this too. If you are going to give them lots of options , then you might get lucky and they will be fine.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully kept 4 in a 125g but it was 6ft. They actually swapped pairs. HAHA!

swinging clowns... who would of thunk it....

but back on topic... it may just boil down to the temperament of the individual females.. if their terrorizes are close i'm sure they will fight..

geckoman2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's risky at best. I ran into the same thing with African chichlids.

Here are my thoughts. You will be introducing them to a new inviroment. So they should not have territories. In order to take advantage of this, you should not move anything from the current tanks that could remind the pairs of their old territories. Make it all new for each pair. Also introduce them all at the same time. I would do it at lights out time. That way when the lights come on in the am they will all be mixed up and can adjust together.

Just my 2 cents.

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i say go for it. many people break the typical stereotypes with reefing all the time. i would try it. if you do do it, i would add the bta's first and let them settle in. try to have a few at each side to try and keep some seperation and try to have some rock in the middle to divide them a little.
are the clowns aggressive to you or another fish? if they are easy going pairs then you will have a decent time. i would add all 4 at the same time though so no one has a territory steaked out yet.
and then just keep your eye on them and feed them to make the fat and happy so they wont fight as much. and last but not least good luck!!

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev this what u do rite after u introduce both pairs to tank simotaniuosly get em drunk with the vodak doseing method 2 things might happen 1 they have shots together and they get knocked up or 2 they get drunk and end up fighting. All jokes aside it is hit or miss with clowns I've personally had pairs together get along when there's no bta in the mix once there's bta's in there you never know they might wantg the same one GL with this keep up posted

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No they were not, but during all this that went on my nicest picasso pair died. Got what seemed to be velvet and died fast. Lost a yellow tang and powder blue as well. Had I not already put down on the new tank, I might have just set up the nano only.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back