2 part to All For Reef conversion table?

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus

Do you guys have clear cut instructions...

...telling us how much your alk will raise / per mls of "All for Reef" / to how many gallons your holding?

Seems like some guess (suggested starting dose) work is involved at this point.

or how how much the product increases alk (in mls) per every 100 liters?

Thanks!!
its stupid that there are no definitive answers. Just start dosing what they recommend and test to see how its going. I wanted to try AFR a while back but I was worried about just dosing and saying a prayer when my take was a little more delicate. I only decided once my alk and cal consumption got so consistent I could set my watch to it. For me any So Far So Good

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Carbo Calcium powder (the same alk-calcium component as AFR but without Mag or trace elements). I've only been using it for about 3 weeks, but a shade more than 26ml per day is keeping my Alk at 8.0 and Calcium at 470. I'm running it on a 120G DT and 40G sump.

I've had to stop dosing my DIY NOPOX because Calcium Formate also carbon doses the tank.

lol
Count me out!!

No need to carbon dose over here

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to print the rise of dkh (of mls dosed) per every 100 liters, on the label.
Note quite what you're asking for, but the AFR dosing calculator tells you how much Alk and Ca is provided for the daily dose

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note quite what you're asking for, but the AFR dosing calculator tells you how much Alk and Ca is provided for the daily dose

Yeah but you'll have to play with it.

It's not like you can put in how much water and you want to raise from 400 cal to 440 cal. It's just making an assumption, unless you can see a different calculator then the one I see.

Every reef has a different cal and alk intake even at the same water volume.

Not going to use it, because it carbon doses too.
Deal breaker for my reef.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its stupid that there are no definitive answers. Just start dosing what they recommend and test to see how its going. I wanted to try AFR a while back but I was worried about just dosing and saying a prayer when my take was a little more delicate. I only decided once my alk and cal consumption got so consistent I could set my watch to it. For me any So Far So Good

Tropic Marin has a dosing calculator right here:

Enter your tank volume and it will give you an initial dose that raises your alk .28. Figure out how much your DKH drops in a given day and you can then figure out what you need to dose to match your current need.

Agree that it should be easier, but you can figure it out with a little math.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin has a dosing calculator right here:

Enter your tank volume and it will give you an initial dose that raises your alk .28. Figure out how much your DKH drops in a given day and you can then figure out what you need to dose to match your current need.

Agree that it should be easier, but you can figure it out with a little math.

The instructions for the dose you need should be printed on the label, just like all other manufacturers do. Then just use simple math.

This how TM's needs to calculate:

Capture.JPG

But, Have always had great respect for Tropic Marin!!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited until I was at the levels I wanted in my tank and then started on AFR, my 90 isnt very demanding right now so i'm only dosing 12ml a day. As stuff grows and my dosage to maintain goes up I'll likely switch to the DIY. I test weekly right now and do small water changes once a week.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions for the dose you need should be printed on the label, just like all other manufacturers do. Then just use simple math.

This how TM's needs to calculate:

Capture.JPG

But, Have always had great respect for Tropic Marin!!

This type of calculator won't fit on a bottle either and it's actually not any better than what Tropic Marin has on their website. This calculator assumes you are trying to raise your alkalinty to reach a certain number. All for Reef is for dosing on a regular basis, so you should only be trying to replace what is being depleted in your tank.

There's adequate information to figure out what you need to dose if you know your tank volume and the amount of alkalinity that is being depleted on a daily basis.

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to say though it was like I didn’t change at all when I switched I am very impressed. For a little refer 250 with mostly LPS and a few high-end sticks with the X1 doser I am floored at how easy it is now. Did the Kalk thing, switched to two-part mostly for ease and this takes it to a whole new level. Worth the price indeed. I was dosing Nyos trace for a while and my numbers where always good on ICP for those trace elements but going to stop dosing that because AFR has almost the same trace I was looking for. I will test in a few months to see where everything is. I will be double stoked if I can stop worrying with dosing trace too

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of calculator won't fit on a bottle either and it's actually not any better than what Tropic Marin has on their website. This calculator assumes you are trying to raise your alkalinty to reach a certain number. All for Reef is for dosing on a regular basis, so you should only be trying to replace what is being depleted in your tank.

There's adequate information to figure out what you need to dose if you know your tank volume and the amount of alkalinity that is being depleted on a daily basis.

Why are you being so defensive?

You have to know what my point is, and where I'm coming from.

This is Red Sea's calcium label, that clearly states what each ml will do

Screenshot (122).png

You should not have to figure, it should be right on the product.

The other calculators are spot on and that is better, but TM's is an educated guess-timate.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but you'll have to play with it.

It's not like you can put in how much water and you want to raise from 400 cal to 440 cal. It's just making an assumption, unless you can see a different calculator then the one I see.

Remember that this is a balanced 2-part additive like Kalk. You wouldn't want to use it to raise Ca because it would drive the alk sky high. It is meant to maintain existing levels.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you being so defensive?

You have to know what my point is, and where I'm coming from.

This is Red Sea's calcium label, that clearly states what each ml will do

Screenshot (122).png

The other calculators are spot on and that is better, but TM's is an educated guess-timate.

I'm not trying to be defensive. I get your point and I said I understood your issue.

Tropic Marin's other products have similar instructions on the bottle as the Red Sea Calcium. For instance, on the Bio-Magnesium says: "One level measuring spoon (10 ml) increases the magnesium level of 30 US-gal./110 l of tank water by about 10 ppm. " That's because that's how you use that product. You test your magnesium level and then you dose a set amount to make up for any deficiency.

All For Reef is intended to be used as a long term daily dose to replace the alkalinity and calcium that is absorbed by your tank. The directions on the bottle reflect how the product is intended to be used. The directions indicate that you should start with a standard dose based on your water volume (and they give you that dose) and then you should test your alkalinity daily and adjust the daily dose until you stabilize it.

I suspect that the other reason that Tropic Marin doesn't include the dosing information that you are looking for is purposeful and stems from the fact that it takes almost a day for All for Reef to have an effect on Alkalinity. If they put a concentration on the bottle, I'm sure there would be more than a handful of people that calculate a dose, wait five minutes, test their alkalinity, and then dose it again because their alkalinity is still low. Then they'd come on R2R and complain that all for reef doesn't work at all. Then the next day, once all for reef has had time to work, their alkalinity would be twice as high as they thought it should be.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that this is a balanced 2-part additive like Kalk. You wouldn't want to use it to raise Ca because it would drive the alk sky high. It is meant to maintain existing levels.

Great point!!

If it's like kalk dosing, then you'll have to dial that product in, over time.

Thanks!!

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find the numbers on the product and on our homepage: "500 ml ALL-FOR-REEF contain 20,000 mg calcium, 950 mg magnesium, 390 mg strontium, 2,800 °carbonate hardness and 17 mg iodine". This means 1 ml contains 5.6° dKH, 10 ml contain 56 ° dKH and will increase the alkalinity of 100 l by 0.56° dKH.
I think these are the numbers and the simple math you have been looking for. :)

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find the numbers on the product and on our homepage: "500 ml ALL-FOR-REEF contain 20,000 mg calcium, 950 mg magnesium, 390 mg strontium, 2,800 °carbonate hardness and 17 mg iodine". This means 1 ml contains 5.6° dKH, 10 ml contain 56 ° dKH and will increase the alkalinity of 100 l by 0.56° dKH.
I think these are the numbers and the simple math you have been looking for. :)

Thanks so much Hans, for taking the time.
That's what I was looking for... ;Writing

I don't think your company designed All for Reef like kalk, because it's not stating that your PH will skyrocket, with a one time dose, or to use a ph probe as a overdose fail safe.

Again
Thank you... :)

jonny3979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Carbo Calcium powder (the same alk-calcium component as AFR but without Mag or trace elements). I've only been using it for about 3 weeks, but a shade more than 26ml per day is keeping my Alk at 8.0 and Calcium at 470. I'm running it on a 120G DT and 40G sump.

I've had to stop dosing my DIY NOPOX because Calcium Formate also carbon doses the tank.
How has your phosphate levels adjusted?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my nitrates were at 2 when dosing my DIY NOPOX and have remained at 2 after stopping it and starting the Carbo Calcium.

My phos on the other hand, is a totally different story. I was at a steady 0.03 with the DIY NOPOX and when I tested it today, I was between 0.5 and 1 (salifert test)

It must be noted however, that I started using reefroids about a week before making the switch and I suspect that they are the cause of the Phos spike. I'm just surprised that it hasn't affected the Nitrates.

Last edited:
Back