(2) Small ocellaris clowns flashing and white discharge

bartizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Would someone please help me with my two Ocellaris Clowns? They've seemed healthy, energetic, and ate well. I've been feeding NLS Thera+A small pellets and very little Marine Cuisine 2 days a week as a treat, one cube lasted the whole month as I'm just shaving it.

Both of them have recently started having white stringy discharge. (I don't see any on the chromis) I've also noticed that the black (larger) one was flashing off the sand a bit. In my attempt to get a video of it, I realized that now the orange (smaller) one is doing it too. I've read that this could be related to them "bonding" etc but they are in opposite sides/corners of the tank and out of sight when they seem to be flashing. They are pretty small too, I'm not certain how soon they start to bond. I've also noticed that the orange one has lost some appetite for pellets, I treated with Marine Cuisine tonight and he ate almost like normal.

Here's a couple videos, I couldn't catch the black one flashing on camera but notice how far apart they are too.

I lost (actually disappeared) a small blue/green chromis a little over a week ago. I've been watching my levels daily. I've lifted my rocks and everything, no sign of him. The slightly elevated NO2 (>=0.1) makes me think he's decaying somewhere.

NH3/4=0, NO2<=0.1, NO3<=5, SG=1.025, pH=8.0, dKH=8.8, temp=78F

The lady at the LFS said it was a parasite now with the clowns and I did a 50% water change, dosed with Prazipro, and threw in a bubbler for good measure. I only run filter floss and a ton of matrix on top of 25# sand and 25# live rock.

My current livestock:
2 - ocellaris clowns
1 - blue/green chromis
3 - Mexican Turbo snails

I think my snails have excessively cleaned, I noticed that they've been slower than normal and lazy. I'm not sure if it's Prazipro causing it or if they are hungry so I added some nori and bumped up my lights a little bit to grow a little more algae since it looks sterile now.

I did see this too, but not sure if it's related to anything.

Since dosing Prazipro Sunday, the clowns still seem to have the same symptoms. I've read about some of the important stuff to keep on hand and ordered Focus and Metro, but I'm hoping to get some more advice before I soak their food and try that route.

Any advice welcome!
Thank you!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White and stringy gets our attention. Eating a lot but having a pinched in stomach would confirm internal parasites usually treated by feeding a mix of General Cure ( contains both prazi and metro) + Focus + food and a very small pinch of plain usp epsom salts (helps expell dead worms) for up to 30 days or until the symptoms cease.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back