2 Vodka Dosing Questions

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrates and Phosphates have been high for a while even with weekly water changes so I'm going to try vodka dosing to help lower the levels but I have some questions:

1) Why vodka vs. any other alcohol (e.g. rum, beer, etc.)?
2) I've been using Chemi-pure to help with the Nitrates and Phosphates but I've never seen an appreciable lowering of my levels, do I stop using that type of media when I start the vodka dosing or continue?

Thanks in Advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually prefer vinegar dosing to vodka, but vodka is often a fine choice.

It was selected as being relatively pure compared to other inexpensive sources of ethanol.

But many different organic molecules give the same effect.

The idea is to drive bacterial growth, and bacteria consume all sorts of things. As the bacteria grow, they use up nutrients. :)

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are dosing carbon and the 3 most popular forms are vodka, vinegar and sugar. I prefer vinegar as vodka has a greater chance of cyano out breaks. They impact pH differently to so you need to find it which suits your needs best.

Chemipure I believe is 50/50 carbon and gfo. Gfo will remove phosphates, but not nitrate. Carbon will do neither.

You can continue to use both while vodka dosing. The point of the dosing is to make your skimmer work more efficiently. You should see increased skimmate production and the smell to be even worse. :D

OP
OP
shornik

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I'm having is that I don't think the Chemi-pure is doing much. It might be it's not getting enough flow in the filter sock where I have it, so I thought about Vodka. I know this is titled 2 Questions... but can I ask a third?

Why do you use Vinegar vs. Vodka?

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are essentially the same. You are dosing carbon and those happen to be 2 reef safe forms of carbon. I personally use vinegar over vodka because I have read vinegar is less likely to cause cyano algae(bacteria or whatever it is) outbreaks. Either is really fine, but vinegar dosing amounts are higher than vodka. I've never done a cost analysis to determine which is cheaper, but I'm sure it's close.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Here is a article on vodka dosing. I use this method on two different tanks, most likely will on my new set up as well. Make sure you have a good skimmer to pull the excess nutrients, I am surprised quite offer on the gunk I pull.

Follow the directions and you should be fine. I have yet to have a cyano outbreak by this method.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%

Back