20 days fallow.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dittos about not having anyone else quarantine your fish. If they live past the LFS quarantine I would still quarantine them so you KNOW without doubt that they are disease and pest free. The LFS quarantine would not be in vain as you know they lived and ate at least that long. The reason I would not trust a LFS or other peoples quarantine is you are not there to see what is being done. Did they use the same net to feed brine shrimp, the same container for water changes (old and then new water in the same container), taking water from their other systems to start the quarantine, keeping the quarantine tank not separated from their water filtering system or do other things that you would not do. You never know for sure.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a learning process like anything else in life
With some reading and advise from others on here along with a little effort on your part, you will succeed.

I am not ashamed to admit that I've been in this hobby for over 20 years and this is my first real round at Qt.

In the past we would battle sickness and disease in our tanks only to loose entire tanks and start over.
Keeping fish in observation was accepted as Qt, boy how things changed there huh.

I've been fortunate to learn the hard way with pest, disease and parasites on fish and corals through my years. I believe this trying and dark age time has given me experience and knowledge others cannot fathom.

I have been blessed with a great local forum and friend @Humblefish who has always taken time to write excellent write ups and answer questions, I am not alone in regard to the fish Doc.

So after years of having playing with ick management and perfecting keeping fish fat and healthy, I still would wind up with that one "new" addition that would wipe my tank out.
This last system I built was my opportunity to go fallow for 76 days while my current fish of a few years could bask in the glory of medications.
All 7 fish are now completed copper treatment and about to undergo prazipro for internal parasites and gill flukes just to be safe.

I will never again add a fish without a full Qt first and to add to the health of my tank I decided to Qt all new corals and other inverts including clean up crews in a separate holding tank for 76 days

This can be seen as a pita or the smart and safe route to ensure maximum health and life span of your precious marine life.

Hang in there, time will afford experience and Qt will become habit
Good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa / mike

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back