240 gallon custom aquarium

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
240 gallon tank build, originally drafted for two 1.5" drain lines with two 1" returns. Question as followed

¹ Do the two drain lines for a tank this size have to be 1.5"?
Can I do a two 1" instead for the drains? If so would the returns be 3/4"?
² Going to use a two cor20 return pumps one going to a 40W UV sterilizer, is it worth putting a 1" output on the pump for the 1-2 foot or so then reducing it to the 3/4" to the sterilizer and then out the sterilizer 3/4" to an adapter to a 1" flow meter to 1" return bulkhead?
Or should I do it all 3/4" bulkhead and all? Will it really even matter??
³ Instead of doing a durso, Herbie Overflow, or Bean Animal could you do a stand pipe and just a BRS Low Profile Bulkhead Overflow Strainers - Lifegard SKU: 209045 will it be silent or noisy?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me their two cents.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
240 gallon tank build, originally drafted for two 1.5" drain lines with two 1" returns. Question as followed

² Going to use a two cor20 return pumps one going to a 40W UV sterilizer, is it worth putting a 1" output on the pump for the 1-2 foot or so then reducing it to the 3/4" to the sterilizer and then out the sterilizer 3/4" to an adapter to a 1" flow meter to 1" return bulkhead?
³ Instead of doing a durso, Herbie Overflow, or Bean Animal could you do a stand pipe and just a BRS Low Profile Bulkhead Overflow Strainers - Lifegard SKU: 209045 will it be silent or noisy?

If the tank is being built and you have options most definitely go with the bean animal set up and go with the 1.5” drains you’ll thank yourself later !

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the drains the better. I use 3 2” drains, can always turn them down, can’t turn small ones up.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

I ran 6 x 1-1/4" drains in my dual bean animal boxes (3 per box - primary, secondary, emergency) on my 270

This could handle some serious Niagara falls type flow through sump. 1-1/4" gravity fed pipe could handle some very serious flow.

I recommend your returns are at least 2 x 1" or even 2 x 1-1/4 for more modern pumps. I did 1x 1.5" (split into 4 nozzles) for the abyzz and 1x 3/4 for a secondary pump.

You don't want to be restrictive on the pump output. You want to match the output diameter of the pump. DC pumps especially hate to be restricted; their flow output drops drastically with restricted plumbing.

Don't ever do a stand pipe, unless you love loud slurping/surging/burping noises. My setup is completely silent - I love it!!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The bigger the drains the better. I use 3 2” drains, can always turn them down, can’t turn small ones up.

That is true re turning it down, one just has to remember to place valves as close as to the sump as possible for silent air free siphons.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank is being built and you have options most definitely go with the bean animal set up and go with the 1.5” drains you’ll thank yourself later !

Agree...

Even though it was a bit fussy, when my Bean Animal was dialed in, it was silent... and that's with a ton of water moving...

OP
OP
F

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I like the Herbie Overflow where I only have the two drains. Just trying to keep the overflow box's as small as I could. That's why I wandering if I could go 1" to keep the box's smaller.

OP
OP
F

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true re turning it down, one just has to remember to place valves as close as to the sump as possible for silent air free siphons.
Is there a rule to the Herbie Overflow like what is the best difference in hight?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I like the Herbie Overflow where I only have the two drains. Just trying to keep the overflow box's as small as I could. That's why I wandering if I could go 1" to keep the box's smaller.
You can use 1” pipe but I think you’ll be happier with 1.5” long term. More flow and bigger pipes reduce odds of drain getting clogged.

OP
OP
F

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 6 x 1-1/4" drains in my dual bean animal boxes (3 per box - primary, secondary, emergency) on my 270

This could handle some serious Niagara falls type flow through sump. 1-1/4" gravity fed pipe could handle some very serious flow.

I recommend your returns are at least 2 x 1" or even 2 x 1-1/4 for more modern pumps. I did 1x 1.5" (split into 4 nozzles) for the abyzz and 1x 3/4 for a secondary pump.

You don't want to be restrictive on the pump output. You want to match the output diameter of the pump. DC pumps especially hate to be restricted; their flow output drops drastically with restricted plumbing.

Don't ever do a stand pipe, unless you love loud slurping/surging/burping noises. My setup is completely silent - I love it!!!
Have any picks of your plumbing?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doing something similar but my tank is 220-ish. I’m going down 13’ to my basement. Because I didn’t want to drill a lot of holes in my granite countertops, cabinet, or subfloor: I went with 3, 1.5” pipes. Full siphon, emergency, and return.

You will want the 1.5” drains. 1-2 is fine in my opinion. With DC pumps and gate valves it’s easy enough to balance. People used to aim for 10x plus turnover in their display and so they’d need crazy drains with durso+siphon+e-drain. Now that 5x seems more normal, you don’t have to go nuts with it. More holes in your glass box become a liability.

Size your return line to your return pump. I think the COR15/20 calls for 3/4” or 1”? Those pumps drop pressure quickly so I’d go with the biggest fitting that pump comes with; even if my run was quick from the stand to the tank.

OP
OP
F

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing something similar but my tank is 220-ish. I’m going down 13’ to my basement. Because I didn’t want to drill a lot of holes in my granite countertops, cabinet, or subfloor: I went with 3, 1.5” pipes. Full siphon, emergency, and return.

You will want the 1.5” drains. 1-2 is fine in my opinion. With DC pumps and gate valves it’s easy enough to balance. People used to aim for 10x plus turnover in their display and so they’d need crazy drains with durso+siphon+e-drain. Now that 5x seems more normal, you don’t have to go nuts with it. More holes in your glass box become a liability.

Size your return line to your return pump. I think the COR15/20 calls for 3/4” or 1”? Those pumps drop pressure quickly so I’d go with the biggest fitting that pump comes with; even if my run was quick from the stand to the tank.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions .

Ranglin6o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2) 1 1/2" drain lines and 1) 1 1/4" return. I had to tune my gates to get the drains to quiet down a bit but enough to control my system with flow to 2500+ GPH

Attachments

• 20230302_150718.jpg
    20230302_150718.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 27
Back