OP
OP
F

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2) 1 1/2" drain lines and 1) 1 1/4" return. I had to tune my gates to get the drains to quiet down a bit but enough to control my system with flow to 2500+ GPH
Nice, what do you use the flow meter for? What size of flow meter are you using? What return pump? Do you think you could have gotten away with 1" drains?

Ranglin6o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, what do you use the flow meter for? What size of flow meter are you using? What return pump? Do you think you could have gotten away with 1" drains?
I'm using the flow meter to see my return rate and fine tune my GPH in the system. I can use my Apex to set alarms incase something goes wrong as another form of safety. If GPH drops below/above a set parameter it could be no water in the return or even a massive leak.

I'm going to be running the Royal Exclusive Red dragon 3 100w 3100gph return and the Red dragon 3 mini for my manifold to run the external protein skimmer, bio reactor, and media reactors. All these will be on Apex flow meters as well!!

I could have run 1"but with only 2 drains it wouldn't keep up to my GPH rates I might need to turn over. In this case bigger is definitely better because you can always close valves to control flow.

OP
OP
F

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the flow meter to see my return rate and fine tune my GPH in the system. I can use my Apex to set alarms incase something goes wrong as another form of safety. If GPH drops below/above a set parameter it could be no water in the return or even a massive leak.

I'm going to be running the Royal Exclusive Red dragon 3 100w 3100gph return and the Red dragon 3 mini for my manifold to run the external protein skimmer, bio reactor, and media reactors. All these will be on Apex flow meters as well!!

I could have run 1"but with only 2 drains it wouldn't keep up to my GPH rates I might need to turn over. In this case bigger is definitely better because you can always close valves to control flow.
Thank you.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes, like is there a rool to how much shorter is the full siphon is from the emergency/ trickle pipe?

1. Full siphon - you don't even need a stand pipe if you don't want it. You can put a inverted U (2x90) if you want and have space for it and/or add a screen but I feel there is no need.

2. Open channel - should be about the height of the weir or at least as high as the bulkheads between internal and external boxes. This will minimize splashing (and salt creep) and related noise as the water flows into the external box. You should add a "T" with a 90 degree elbow on top of the standpipe. The T gets capped on top and a small hole is drilled into the cap. This small hole allows air to escape and if the water goes above it, hole gets sealed and that secondary drain will go full siphon.

3. Emergency - Can be 1 inch shy of top of the external box.

The whole point is to use the valve at the end run of the full siphon (right by the sump) to dial-in the flow so that the water in the external box little more than trickles into open channel drain. This will provide for absolutely silent setup.

If you have a return pump that allows you to dial it by tiny increment (Abyzz/Royal Exclusive, etc) you can also do minute adjustment on the pump's controller.

The setup I created on my new build that everyone said would be hard to dial in (2 external boxes) is absolutely silent! If you follow what I stated above yours will be too.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Have any picks of your plumbing?

Ask and you shall receive :)

1678207007257.png

1678207053029.png

1678207138670.png

OP
OP
F

FullerReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Full siphon - you don't even need a stand pipe if you don't want it. You can put a inverted U (2x90) if you want and have space for it and/or add a screen but I feel there is no need.

2. Open channel - should be about the height of the weir or at least as high as the bulkheads between internal and external boxes. This will minimize splashing (and salt creep) and related noise as the water flows into the external box. You should add a "T" with a 90 degree elbow on top of the standpipe. The T gets capped on top and a small hole is drilled into the cap. This small hole allows air to escape and if the water goes above it, hole gets sealed and that secondary drain will go full siphon.

3. Emergency - Can be 1 inch shy of top of the external box.

The whole point is to use the valve at the end run of the full siphon (right by the sump) to dial-in the flow so that the water in the external box little more than trickles into open channel drain. This will provide for absolutely silent setup.

If you have a return pump that allows you to dial it by tiny increment (Abyzz/Royal Exclusive, etc) you can also do minute adjustment on the pump's controller.

The setup I created on my new build that everyone said would be hard to dial in (2 external boxes) is absolutely silent! If you follow what I stated above yours will be too.
Thank you

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 81 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back