2nd attempt at raising clownfish fry.

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are going to lay eggs and I would like to update my step by step process of raising the fry to adult hood. The first attempt was a failure but I fed the fish alot more food and variety this time so this batch should be healthier. Feel free to give me any advice. I will give daily updates and every step in the process.
75b3b1ebe4ec193c65df8bd5cf46aa28.jpg
the female is percula. And the male ocellaris.

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are spawning right now and this batch looks alot bigger than the last.

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for video quality I have no idea why it looks like crap after its uploaded

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: day 2 after spawn. Eggs seem to be doing well. One of the anemone comes into contact with them, but I don't think it's harming them .
9f80356b669da5b5a7242ad635428593.jpg

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of mines never lay eggs the mate died a while back so I put a new guy in there it's been over 3 months they get alone what do I have to do

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is fairly clean. Carbon and gfo reactor. Along with a good Skimmer and fuge section. Along with filter socks. And I use water from my 6 stage rodi system. I don't check water parameters. I use red Sea salt and it's lighted with 250 watt metal halides and t5 combo, all hooked up to my apex controller. That's all I can say about the display tank.

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure everything is on schedule. New fish or alternating light schedules can delay mating.

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: day 3 after pair laid eggs. Eggs are doing real well. The male seems to be doing a good job taking care of them and the eggs have changed from Orange to a darker more purplish color. I have been doing 20% thinning / water changing if rotifer cultures. I run the water threw the sieve and feed the display tank with the rotifers I think from the cultures. Everything seems to be doing well. I need to order some brine shrimp eggs. I'll probably go with decapsulated if I can find them online.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has em all in stock. He's a horder. And breeds clowns all day 10-15 tanks always goin. I've learned a lot from him as they always have 1 at a diff period. So I've learned a lot. Lost 1st male from a female that wouldn't lay eggs but pretend 2. Now she does and my current male is 2 young or something. It's funny. Like a boy and a woman. Idk what decapsulated all meant when I was reading it all. He has a remora in that big pool in center

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Nice !! Seems like you are pro level.
    Haha. By no means but I know what 2 do and when and how so when he starts at age as he's only been in there for 2 'moths and her 2 yrs so he's got awhile so I hope she doesn't just herrase him for. It doin his job till then

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has em all in stock. He's a horder. And breeds clowns all day 10-15 tanks always goin. I've learned a lot from him as they always have 1 at a diff period. So I've learned a lot. Lost 1st male from a female that wouldn't lay eggs but pretend 2. Now she does and my current male is 2 young or something. It's funny. Like a boy and a woman. Idk what decapsulated all meant when I was reading it all. He has a remora in that big pool in center

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG
Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. It's so you don't have the hard shells to deal with so you eliminate the hazard of the larvae choking on them.

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : day 4 after eggs laid. Eggs are getting darker and have developed more prominent dots at the tips of the eggs. Male is continuing to do an exceptional job of taking care of the eggs and both the female and male guard them and even will drive off the niger trigger and sailfin tang if they swim too close. Last time I used a 10 gallon tank for the fry tank and filled it half way . This time I'm using a 2.5 gallon and I used black paper and taped it on all 4 sides and put the tank on top of a piece of white paper so I can see the bottom. I also got an ammonia and ph reader. The kind you just leave in the tank. I'm continuing to thin 20% of rotifers every day day from my 2 five gallon buckets. I had to order more rg complete as I'm almost out. I'm hoping the smaller water volume in the fry tank will make it easier to keep it full of rotifers and I can change water easier. I plan on using display water and I think I might leave the tank lighted for the first 3 days so they can get as much food as possible. The only thing I'm not sure of is whether to add the rg complete to the fry tank to add contrast or if its more trouble than what it's worth.

OP
OP
C

cliff92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What age can i move a clownfish fry to the main tank?
From my understanding, unless you have a massive tank for multiple territories, it's not wise to put the smaller clownfish back in with there parents as it could cause conflict. Remember the pairs job is to raise the eggs to hatch. After that they are on their own.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back