30+ Days? (Banggai Breeding)

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my male banggai has been holding for about 32 days now and I have to day I was expecting babies like last week. I don't think he has too many in his mouth but there are for sure a few. Should I try to catch him? (He is very skittish) Or leave him be? I made a fake urchin which is in the tank made of black zip ties. The only other fish in the tank are a pair of seahorses, a citron goby, and a female spotted mandarin.

I'm afraid if I try to catch him he will just spit out the babies. What should I do?

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I ended up catching him and extracting the three babies. Two days later he is holding again!

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my last batch of cardinals, i removed the dad from the main tank about a week prior to me expecting him to spit out of the eggs. Put him in a seperate tank full of fake 'sea urchins' until after he releases him. First clutch I only had 4 babies, but the most recent I've gotten it up to 36. Mostly due to the male releasing in an empty tank with no predators (but himself). I always make sure to feed him double after he finishes spitting everyone out, otherwise the babies will become food. It definitely takes some practice getting used to it, especially the constant feed. Some of the fry are to small to eat regular freshly hatched brine, so I picked up a smaller strain to start them all off in the first few days. At around a month old you can start attempting to ween them onto frozen food.

eltemeble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so who wants to sell some for a good price?

i have 2 fat ones but the are male i need to start looking for mates

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so who wants to sell some for a good price?

i have 2 fat ones but the are male i need to start looking for mates

Thread-jacking is not cool man. Make your own thread and don't come to me for help finding anything.

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so cool man, where the pic's??

I only had three. i think more will be coming this time around.
b5c6b356.jpg

bronny01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you tell the diffrence between a male and female? also can you show a photo of the pair?

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bongo may have a better answer, but as far as I know, you cannot tell the difference. You need to observe them, and watch for a pair to "pair up," OR watch for ones that are being aggressive towards one another, indicating males.

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually females are just as aggressive as males which makes it that much harder to tell the difference. I tried every technique out there before mine paired up but never got a good conclusion. Once they do pair up you will just be able to recognize them. I know my male is bigger than the female. I just know now when I look at them. Basically the best way to know is to see them courting or if you bought two and they don't fight and kill each other they are probably a pair. I can get some pics up but they are not great ones.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back