Catching banggai cardinals

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on what Stateline Reefer said. The eggs hatch in the mouth and when they hatch they look like mini adults. They are shaped like bangai and colored like the adults but just mini.

You didn't mention who else lives in the tank. But they are tiny and are easy food for wrasses, big tangs, pseudchromis, damsels, and hog fish.

When they hatch you can see the little fish sitting in the father's mouth. He will occassionally 'sneeze' spitting out the dozens of babies and they scoop them all back up a second later. They stay in the mouth for several days after hatching.

I have tried the fake urchin and actual long spine, and it hasn't worked for me. The ones that survive the other fish in the tank, that grow up are the ones that go over the overflow and end up in the overflow or sump. I've gotten up to generation 4 raising them in the overflows of my frag tanks.

Dave B

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on what Stateline Reefer said. The eggs hatch in the mouth and when they hatch they look like mini adults. They are shaped like bangai and colored like the adults but just mini.

You didn't mention who else lives in the tank. But they are tiny and are easy food for wrasses, big tangs, pseudchromis, damsels, and hog fish.

When they hatch you can see the little fish sitting in the father's mouth. He will occassionally 'sneeze' spitting out the dozens of babies and they scoop them all back up a second later. They stay in the mouth for several days after hatching.

I have tried the fake urchin and actual long spine, and it hasn't worked for me. The ones that survive the other fish in the tank, that grow up are the ones that go over the overflow and end up in the overflow or sump. I've gotten up to generation 4 raising them in the overflows of my frag tanks.

Dave B
Ok, generally around day 21 (when the eggs are clearly not ready) they disappear. what I would like to do is take the eggs around this time and hatch them outside the male’s mouth in A egg tumbler.
i have small wrasses (possum and cleaner) and small tangs brissletooth and scopas, clowns, blenny, and goby.
would you recommend a specific way of catching the fish?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try in the middle of the night if they hide where you can see them.

Otherwise, you might have to catch them before the next batch. Food in a trap should work when they are eating.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try in the middle of the night if they hide where you can see them.

Otherwise, you might have to catch them before the next batch. Food in a trap should work when they are eating.
I’m going to try today (with nets) And see what happens. I have no other place beside the sump to put them To catch them before a new batch of eggs.

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cardinal ate the eggs. He’s eating now. I’ll try to take some more eggs in a month or so. You still have a few eggs in the tumbler.

Haim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My banggai cardinals have eggs close to hatching, he has a reputation of eating the eggs (9 times) I was wondering if anyone has any tips for catching him or a idea on how to make some fish traps for him.
My problem is since he has eggs food won’t lure him so how would traps work, so far I’ve used nets but it’s occasionally destructive, takes time and a lot of luck and lots of times it doesn’t work.
Any ideas, should I leave him alone and see if he won’t eat the eggs this time,
thanks
Edit; my problem is not him not eating. Once he spits the eggs he begins to eat when food is available. Think I made it a bit confusing sorry, I need a good way to catch him so the babies and/or eggs don’t get eaten.
He currently looks to have some eggs
Normaly only in night he will split the eggs ,about 30 days he hold ,if u want to collect ,close all light in and out , after 20 min. With lamp and nest will be able to collect them.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back