315 gallon Reef Savvy new to me

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my last tank crashed. I left the alk dose pump on to prime and forgot overnight and the next day. All corals eventually died.

Right now I have 4 tanks in the house. I'd like to get rid of my current large tank and move the rest, and my reptiles out to the garage and eventually make the garage my "man cave". I am getting married soon and plan to have a kid after.

I have hundreds of pounds of live rock that have been cycling for over 6 months.

I plan to do something I've never seen before with 2" tall of starboard on the back and front 2/3 of the tank with a "pool" of sand in the middle 1/3 so I can have the benefit of bare bottoms front and back, where I can try to get enough flow to grow sps hopefully without a pump on the other end of the peninsula. But also have some wrasse or jawfish.

Plan is to have almost only sps, run 6 hydra 52 HDs, get an apex with trident and DOS and auto dose alk and calc . Plan to do Kalk in the ATO.

Eventually in future another DOS for AWC, calc rx, drag tank.

7'x3'x2' Reef Savvy peninsula 3/4 in low iron glass on 3 sides. Steel stand with teak cabinetry. 5'x2' acrylic sump.

Had the fish guys in orlando load it up for me, they did a good job and it only took two guys to do it.
Me and 6 strong friends unloaded it by hand. Yes we used those $10 suction cups, yes they worked, and yes it was scary.

This should be fun...

IMG_0717.jpg IMG_0716.jpg

Justgottadiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my last tank crashed. I left the alk dose pump on to prime and forgot overnight and the next day. All corals eventually died.

Right now I have 4 tanks in the house. I'd like to get rid of my current large tank and move the rest, and my reptiles out to the garage and eventually make the garage my "man cave". I am getting married soon and plan to have a kid after.

I have hundreds of pounds of live rock that have been cycling for over 6 months.

I plan to do something I've never seen before with 2" tall of starboard on the back and front 2/3 of the tank with a "pool" of sand in the middle 1/3 so I can have the benefit of bare bottoms front and back, where I can try to get enough flow to grow sps hopefully without a pump on the other end of the peninsula. But also have some wrasse or jawfish.

Plan is to have almost only sps, run 6 hydra 52 HDs, get an apex with trident and DOS and auto dose alk and calc . Plan to do Kalk in the ATO.

Eventually in future another DOS for AWC, calc rx, drag tank.

7'x3'x2' Reef Savvy peninsula 3/4 in low iron glass on 3 sides. Steel stand with teak cabinetry. 5'x2' acrylic sump.

Had the fish guys in orlando load it up for me, they did a good job and it only took two guys to do it.
Me and 6 strong friends unloaded it by hand. Yes we used those $10 suction cups, yes they worked, and yes it was scary.

This should be fun...

IMG_0717.jpg IMG_0716.jpg
Well for using them 10$ cups I’d say no brains ... buuuut it worked so I have to say big balls lol beautiful tank

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice size, tank! And I love those pen style tanks!! I would probably mix in some T5 with those 52's being an all sps tank.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it, but why do you suggest this?
It can really help with the shadows when they start forming colonies, offers good blanket coverage. when their frags your good for a bit as they are small, so you can always just plan for this down the road and not do it right away

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 of them worked well on my four foot, but the new tank is going to be a different animal.

20180813_154656.jpg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If getting married and having a child soon. I’d caution on converting the garage, not trying to be a Debbie downer, but when raining or snowing do you want your wife and baby trenching through all the elements?!? Then again, I’m not sure your weather is the same as my weather up here. Just something to think about, honestly.

Ok, now man to man, and REEF2REEF (see what I did there? haha), that’s a ****** tank! I have a 5x3x2 and I LOVE it! I couldn’t imagine having another 2’ in length. The 3’ width is amazing, I have my aquascape right down the middle with tons of swimming room in front and behind the scape.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank best of luck. Check out the versa as a possible alternative to the DOS. I use the DOS for my AWC and it does work well but I went through a bunch of pumps (they said it was due to heat for the AWC rate).

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If getting married and having a child soon. I’d caution on converting the garage, not trying to be a Debbie downer, but when raining or snowing do you want your wife and baby trenching through all the elements?!? Then again, I’m not sure your weather is the same as my weather up here. Just something to think about, honestly.

Ok, now man to man, and REEF2REEF (see what I did there? haha), that’s a ****** tank! I have a 5x3x2 and I LOVE it! I couldn’t imagine having another 2’ in length. The 3’ width is amazing, I have my aquascape right down the middle with tons of swimming room in front and behind the scape.
Nah, I've never used my garage for vehicles anyway, and I'm in florida, so a little rain never hurt anyone. But that's thoughtful. Yeah I cant wait to have basically 17 feet of viewing area.

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a laser... you want to keep your water line even around the top. I would even go as far to fill it with unsalted water to check level when filled and weighted, you might even do it a couple times as you make adjustments. Your going to be looking at this for years and you don’t want any “I wish I would haves”. Especially something this easy before it’s stocked.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a sub panel installed today and had a dedicated 20amp circuit wired up for the recepticals that came wired under the tank.
If you're in south east florida and need any electrical work residential or commercial go with Kasper Electric.

20200228_214134.jpg 20200228_214236.jpg

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how this build goes. I have a 6x3x2 "new to me" tank I'm getting ready to start on so I'm definitely interested to see the progress of how you do yours as I start.

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two mp40s and two xf280s should give me the flow I need. I'm going to try to keep all the pumps on the overflow end, not sure how it's going to work...

20200318_193806.jpg

OP
OP
JDJP

JDJP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my AC installed in garage and I'm happy to say it doesn't work very hard to keep it 75* in south florida.

Cut my starboard and decided to do only one end of the tank the other 2/3 of the tank will have a 2" sand bed.

Also put together my clarisea roller mat. Says on the box that it has a 1 ¹/⁴" inlet, turns out it's only one inch. Says it can handle 1300gph so we'll see how it goes. Between this, a pretty undersized skimmer, and a big chaeto fudge I'll be good.

Ordered some plumbing from brs yesterday.

Might start filling the tank today.

20200418_142532.jpg 20200418_142437.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back