OP
OP
K

knap_123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this mourning, I think it will work just fine on the 35 till income taxes come around again. Oh, and it didn't come with a lid. So I did as the cat who hooked me up with did and used a Pringles chip lid .

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

knap_123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last thing and I'll move on from the skimmer. The return has a annoying waterfall effect with splash up and sound. So I cut off a water bottle bottom and stuck it over the return. Problem solved

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when do you project getting your ponies? I ordered mine from Ocean Rider and although they are pricey, I liked that they have been captive bred many many generations and are well suited for aquarium life and are trained to eat frozen mysis. OR offered a free online training course that I found extremely thorough and helpful, (even for me a marine aquarium tech). Taking the course does imply that you will buy seahorses from them though although its not mandatory. I will buy this first pair from them but probably seek other CB sources in the future.

Global

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knap you are the king of DIY hahaha love it :D

Love the modded impeller wheel with the fishing line and its defiantly improved your skim mate. Well done

OP
OP
K

knap_123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks global! Vlangel, I've been planning this tank for about 2 yrs now and the idea of sea horses since I was a kid. My first came from the back of a boyscout magazine in 80s when I was maybe 8 or so. Of course they didn't make it. and I was shareing the story with my kids . My girls wanted to try it as we'll and when I googled up dwarf seahorse I was amazed at how much I saw and read on saltwater aquariums and everything. So my fascination started all over again. I started with a reef tank , then a 2 1/2 gallon dwarf seahorse tank. Now I have a 75 reef and this one in the works. I started researching and realized I had a lot to learn and buy! We'll I don't make a lot so I've been gathering a little here and there over the last 3 years. I actually was big into flintknapping and primitive skills. I traded all my knapping tools and flint for the tank. Now I'm almost ready to get it all started. My only hold up is the sump. A friend who builds tanks is doing a custom sump for me. I'm still undecided who I'll order from. There's a lot breeders but I'm leaning more towards dan in fl. But like I said, I'm still not sure. And I definitely like DIY projects. It's fun, creative, and saves a lot of money! Haha

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks global! Vlangel, I've been planning this tank for about 2 yrs now and the idea of sea horses since I was a kid. My first came from the back of a boyscout magazine in 80s when I was maybe 8 or so. Of course they didn't make it. and I was shareing the story with my kids . My girls wanted to try it as we'll and when I googled up dwarf seahorse I was amazed at how much I saw and read on saltwater aquariums and everything. So my fascination started all over again. I started with a reef tank , then a 2 1/2 gallon dwarf seahorse tank. Now I have a 75 reef and this one in the works. I started researching and realized I had a lot to learn and buy! We'll I don't make a lot so I've been gathering a little here and there over the last 3 years. I actually was big into flintknapping and primitive skills. I traded all my knapping tools and flint for the tank. Now I'm almost ready to get it all started. My only hold up is the sump. A friend who builds tanks is doing a custom sump for me. I'm still undecided who I'll order from. There's a lot breeders but I'm leaning more towards dan in fl. But like I said, I'm still not sure. And I definitely like DIY projects. It's fun, creative, and saves a lot of money! Haha

Good for you for pursuing such a long held dream. Yes, I've heard excellant things about Dan in FL . With your DIY skills, no doubt that same ingenuity will serve you well as you continue to design your ponies' corral and I expect they will be very happy.

OP
OP
K

knap_123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I did check my ammonia in rock tub. Thamonias so high the colors a deep pine green. Like a Christmas tree green.lol still just waiting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

knap_123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting, my friends been busy but said he had started on sump. And ammonia a down to 0.25 from 8.0 in rock tub. Maybe this weekend I can start on canopy at least.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

knap_123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend just finished sump. Now I have to wait till after christmas. Got to make sure santa takes cares of the kids first.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back