4 dead fish this morning...others in danger?

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, this is why asked if they got 50 or more nitrates after the cycle ended that could’ve easily handled a high bio load. Oh and its a 30 gallon I think.
They got up to at least 40 before going back down. My test jumps from 40 to 80, so idk about 50 exactly.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually batch stock my freshwater so they only have to go through the stress a few times. I didn't think to check if it was different for saltwater..

You want to research your stock heavily. Honestly it looks like you put dominos in there with clowns and cardinals? They grow to a good size and can be very aggressive. It might be a blessing they are gone. I would not buy more.

Hard to tell from the pic but if those clownfish are clarkii's...These also can grow into aggressive monsters in just 30g of space. A pair of occy or percs would be appropriate.

No real such thing as a true community tank in salt. Most everything wants territory, even a small goby. Fish will attempt to drive others out of their space and mixing something more shy/peaceful with an aggressive fish in a 30g is a problem waiting to happen once the fish mature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.. and i might of missed this.

What type of filter media do you have?
what type of cycle starter did you use?

Asking as if you have subpar media then the cycle starter bacteria will have trouble getting a start with a place to grow.
If you need to jump start the cycle back into full swing you can try Fritz turbo start as it takes effect in just a few days as oppose to weeks.
Water additives: instant ocean bio-spira, API aqua essential, API quick start marine, API stress coat +, Coralife essential elements
Ghost fed with brine shrimp and baby shrimp. I did 2 10/15% water changes since starting the cycle.

Filter media: activated carbon, ceramic rings, seachem matrix bio-media, foam sponge, and ammonia neutralizing pad.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water additives: instant ocean bio-spira, API aqua essential, API quick start marine, API stress coat +, Coralife essential elements
Ghost fed with brine shrimp and baby shrimp. I did 2 10/15% water changes since starting the cycle.

Filter media: activated carbon, ceramic rings, seachem matrix bio-media, foam sponge, and ammonia neutralizing pad.
Coralife essential elements <-- dont worry about dosing this unless you plan on keeping Coral in your future.
Bio spira is good starter as its how i started my first tank and it came out fine.

If you can switch from API aqua essential to Doctor Tims or Seachem. Doctor tims is something i see highest suggested in the reefing community and i use it myself however i since long ago got a RODI unit even though its a basic one so i still dose Doctor tims water treatment just as a safety precaution.

Stress coat is okay to add in once in a blue moon if you see a issue.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to research your stock heavily. Honestly it looks like you put dominos in there with clowns and cardinals? They grow to a good size and can be very aggressive. It might be a blessing they are gone. I would not buy more.

The clownfish also look like they may be clarkii's? Hard to tell from the pic. These also can grow into aggressive monsters in just 30g of space. A pair of occy or percs would be more appropriate.

No real such thing as a true community tank in salt. Most everything wants territory, even a small goby. Fish will attempt to drive others out of their space and mixing something more shy/peaceful with an aggressive fish in a 30g is a problem waiting to happen once the fish mature.
....I feel really stupid, because PetCo just said they were "assorted damselfish" with "semi-aggressive" temperament as they did not have a specific card for the domino, and they were housed with the clownfish so I didn't question further.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH i forgot to ask this and no one has asked this yet.. and yes this happens to alot of reefers seen it alot of times being posted on here..

Has anyone including yourself cleaned around or near the fish tank if so did they use spray aerosol type cleaners wither its Spray cleaner or even a air fresher..

Asking this because if this stuff gets air drifted into your tank it can and will kill fish and corals.... My gf hates me because i yell at her daily everytime i see her spraying Freebreez in the same room as my tanks.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife essential elements <-- dont worry about dosing this unless you plan on keeping Coral in your future.
Bio spira is good starter as its how i started my first tank and it came out fine.

If you can switch from API aqua essential to Doctor Tims or Seachem. Doctor tims is something i see highest suggested in the reefing community and i use it myself however i since long ago got a RODI unit even though its a basic one so i still dose Doctor tims water treatment just as a safety precaution.

Stress coat is okay to add in once in a blue moon if you see a issue.
There's some Seachem supplies here, Dr Tims will definitely be an online order and wait.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH i forgot to ask this and no one has asked this yet.. and yes this happens to alot of reefers seen it alot of times being posted on here..

Has anyone including yourself cleaned around or near the fish tank if so did they use spray aerosol type cleaners wither its Spray cleaner or even a air fresher..

Asking this because if this stuff gets air drifted into your tank it can and will kill fish and corals.... My gf hates me because i yell at her daily everytime i see her spraying Freebreez in the same room as my tanks.
I don't use febreze because it makes my cats puke, so no. I avoid aerosols in general because they're horrible for the environment and air. I cleaned the salt lines off the outside from me messing with the tank with Windex, but I sprayed it on the towel instead of directly on the glass.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't think anyone has brought it up, but PetCo is only about a 5-10 minute drive from my place, so they weren't in the bags for a long bumpy car ride.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....I feel really stupid, because PetCo just said they were "assorted damselfish" with "semi-aggressive" temperament as they did not have a specific card for the domino, and they were housed with the clownfish so I didn't question further.

My pecto stocks fish the same way but there are some tolerable damsels and clowns and some real mean ones (once they get adult size). You can often ID the fish just looking at pic's on live aquaria or post pics here if unsure.

If you know you want a damsel, springer or yellowtail are often okay tank mates. I would not put them with anything too peaceful though and always add the more peaceful fish first. If your cardinals do well... thats perfect. They are more laid back and shy and can establish themselves before a more boisterous fish like clowns.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it was ready once you dropped live rock in. Or Bio-Spira. Cycles without live rock or bottled bac take 4 weeks. You just fell prey to the cycle confusion rampant in this hobby at the moment.
my tests said differently but you're welcome to think whatever you like lol.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't think anyone has brought it up, but PetCo is only about a 5-10 minute drive from my place, so they weren't in the bags for a long bumpy car ride.
Going forward if you cant get fish from your LFS i would suggest liveaquaria. i only ever had one fish from them die so far and that was due to it was winter and he got cooked by the heaters in the shipping unit while the other surivied. they have a great policy for DOA's and ones that dont make it in the first week.

they also have nice charts to show you what fish is compatible with others. my advice is to buy fish from them when you hit the 150$ tally so you get free shipping which saves you 40$ otherwise your spending 100$ on fish and 40$ on shipping so you lose 40$ to shipping cost when you could just spend 10$ more total and get free shipping and more fish/inverts.

OP
OP
15aleo

15aleo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going forward if you cant get fish from your LFS i would suggest liveaquaria. i only ever had one fish from them die so far and that was due to it was winter and he got cooked by the heaters in the shipping unit while the other surivied. they have a great policy for DOA's and ones that dont make it in the first week.

they also have nice charts to show you what fish is compatible with others. my advice is to buy fish from them when you hit the 150$ tally so you get free shipping which saves you 40$ otherwise your spending 100$ on fish and 40$ on shipping so you lose 40$ to shipping cost when you could just spend 10$ more total and get free shipping and more fish/inverts.
I'll definitely plan on that. When it says next day air, is it exactly next day? I'm nervous because everything takes so long to get here.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back