40 Gallon Breeder Stocking

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral can be added all at once after the cycle is in place. They produce very little waste themselves. Just be sure to place them where they will get along with each other. Some LPS like euphyllias have sweeper tentacles which sting nearby corals.

I think the green serpent star is the one that could eat fish.

I'm happy to help where I can.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not much to keeping those two starfish because they will be feeding on the detritus. I would suggest waiting a few months after adding fish so that some detritus builds up for it to eat. As far as fish suggestions some of the wrasses like flasher wrasse would be good. Wrasses are jumpers so you will need to put a mesh screen cover on the tank to keep them in. You could try some dwarf angels such as the flame angel or coral beauty. They are likely to nip at sps, so that needs to be considered. I really like firefish, great colors and active swimmers. With stocking order I like to add fish before the coral so the coral will have something to eat. Since you're using all dry rock to cycle I would wait to add the clean up crew until about a week after you add fish, because they will also need something to eat. As far as amount of clean up crew you can buy a few to start and add as you go. I like to go about it like that because you won't end up with half of your clean up crew dying on you. If I had to guess I would say my 40 has 2 trochus snails, 2 Mexican turbo snails, 4 nassasarius snails, 3 scarlet hermits, 4 Mexican red legged hermits and 2 blue leg hermits. You may need more than that though because I used live rock with tons of beneficial hitchhikers. If you're interested in using live rock like I did look into tukani live rock. The only issue I have had out of it is that it keeps the tank completely clear of nutrients. (It's a bigger problem than you would probably think)

What kind of equipment are you getting with the setup? Does it have a skimmer? Heater? Return pump? Powerheads? Lights?

OP
OP
zaekor

zaekor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a full canopy for the top, two power heads, a heater, a skimmer, a ten gallon sump with the pumps and plumbed, and the lights I don't know, all I know is that they are LEDs, but if when I get the tank, if the lights aren't good enough, I am going to get a Reef breeders photon 24. I wasn't planning on doing many or even any SPS, so that won't be a problem, but I might do one or two. I did look into dwarf Angels, but I kind of forgot about them until you mentioned them. I personally prefer the flames :)
Anyways, I might do the order that you said. I definitely want to do a torch coral (one of my favorites) and maybe a frogspawn, or really any euphyllius, and I would love some other recommendations. I like the look of mushrooms too. With he clean up crew, that's what I was planning on doing. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your list of corals I would suggest looking into Duncan, elegance, gonipora, fox coral, bubble coral, and some of the leathers like colt coral. Man that would bmovement in a tank for sure. Some of the mushrooms are pretty cool. You will want to be careful of what mushrooms you get because they can become invasive and take over your tank. The ricordea can be controlled much easier. Zoa and paly are pretty much a must have for every tank. With the many choices you have with them find 1 or 37 you like. I'm kinda picky when it comes to them because there's just so much to choose from, so why end up with some that aren't really nice? Acan lords are popular and like zoa/paly in the sense that there's a large variety out there to choose from.

7238bb6244250bc8d8d166ef141983bd.jpg

Yuma ricordea

9bd515ca900648318c6ea748f62efb02.jpg

Some zoa/paly

b137255c0b865deac273ed6097b64f4b.jpg

Acan lords

OP
OP
zaekor

zaekor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, sorry, I forgot to list zoas, I was going to do a bit of those. Anemones look pretty cool, but I don't want to have it moving on me, so no. I do like the colt corals, those look really good. I really like the corals with big reaching arms, I think those are the best. I love corals with a bunch of movement. Also, that yuma ricordea looks ******. I have read that mushrooms can become invasive, what are the well known ones that DO become invasive? Thanks for your help! I need to start making my "list" of corals :)

OP
OP
zaekor

zaekor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, are there any other shrimp that pair with gobys? I heard pistol shrimps can make this loud noise constantly, that doesn't sound nice.

OP
OP
zaekor

zaekor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish:
Clownfish Pair
Watchman Goby
Carpenter or Fairy Wrasse
Flame Dwarf Angelfish
3 Chromis

Inverts:
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Female Emerald Crab
2 Banded Coral Shrimp (Pair)
Possibly an Anenome

Cleaner Crew:
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit - 12
Red Serpent Star - 1
Astraea Turbo Snail - 10
Nassarius Snail - 2

Possible Corals:
Acan Lords
Zoanthids
Torch Coral
Yuma Ricordea Mushroom
Polyp Duncan Coral
Elegence Corals
Bubble Coral
Colt Coral
Goniopora

Thanks, any recommendations or advice is welcome :D

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral banded shrimp are likely to pick off any other shrimp in the tank and you will have one coral banded shrimp in the end. The Carpenters is one of the more aggressive flasher wrasse. If you could trade it out for a mccoskers it would be more peaceful. I'm not really big on astrea snails because they aren't very "turbo" and they can't right themselves if they get flipped over. Trochus snails are almost exactly like astrea but are very much "turbo" and can flip themselves back over. Instead of 10 you might only need 3. I think I have 2 trochus and 2 Mexican turbo snails in my 40 with about 5 nassasarius. You seem to like the inverts pretty well so I'm going to suggest a blue knuckle hermit. Those guys are really nice.

OP
OP
zaekor

zaekor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yes I have seen the blue knuckle hermits.
So, I have updated my list. Here it is:
Fish:
Clownfish Pair
Watchman Goby
Fairy Wrasse or McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Flame Dwarf Angelfish
3 Chromis

Inverts:
1 Pistol Shrimp
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Female Emerald Crab
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit
1 Pom Pom Crab
Possibly an Anenome

Cleaner Crew:
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit - 12
Red Serpent Star - 1
Banded Trochus Turbo Snail - 3
Mexican Turbo Snail - 2

Possible Corals:
Acan Lords
Zoanthids
Torch Coral
Yuma Ricordea Mushroom
Polyp Duncan Coral
Elegence Corals
Bubble Coral
Colt Coral
Goniopora

Thanks! I changed the wrasse like you said, got rid of the nassarius, changed the Aestrea to Mexican Turbo's and Trochus. I also added a Pom Pom crab because why not. Wanted something to replace the nassarius and the smaller amount of snails ;) Also, Got rid of the banded shrimp. I never really liked their look anyways, I just decided that I would have more shrimp haha.

burnt Toast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to saltwater and r2r!

Me personally my clean up crew would be 24 hermits a shrimp and a few turbo snails.

As far as fish including your clowns and goby (get him a shrimp partner) I'd get a wrasse for sure, and a fuzzy dwarf lion fish!

Of course all this would be over the course of a month or 2 !

I have a question about the dwarf lion, is it reef safe and can it live with clowns and 2 Banggai cardinalfish

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back