40B to small and would 1 work with what I listed for fish and their current behavior

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170217_175808.jpg
I have 6 fish; Swissguard basslet, grammica lined dartfish, spotted mandarin, last bar grey clown fish, Randall Prawn goby, and yellow&purple(white)wrasse.
Frags; 10 ZOA's, 2 frog spawn, pulsing Xenia, candy cane. Looking to get a golden torch next.
Inverts; fire, peppermint, and skunk shrimp. Conch, 6 astrea, 4 dwarf blue legged hermits(large). Red tuxedo urchin.
40 Breeder w/ 27 lbs of LR with 15 lbs LR more curing/seeding/cycling as we speak.
I feed 2-3x a day. Yes I know it is a lot. I take care of my water so I can.
I want a Flame Angel when the 15 lbs are added into the 40B.
I seen some great tips about feeding them nori to nip at. Plus the LFS that I go to seem to be the masters of using vitamin soaked leafy vegetables and I will ask for their recipe.
I love my corals, but I REALLY love my fish.
Will A Flame Angel bully any of the fish listed above. They are all best friends. I do not want a headache. One is enough with one of my hermits.
The live rock is all new. Already went through the NEW tank brown algae bloom.
The wrasse is a major swimmer. Goes back forth about 2000 times a day.
The mandarin keeps to himself and just swims around the WHOLE tank.
The dartfish hides and pops out like a hungry hippo during feeding time.
The prawn goby "thinks" he is king, but is cool with everyone. Maybe jaws, but never pulls the trigger to attack. His attitude changed for the best going from a 20g to the 40B.
The clown fish is either chilling with the spotted mandarin swimming side by side with him or in the cave with the Swissguard basslet or swimming with him.
Now here is my biggest concern. My Swissguard basslet. The most model citizen and best tankmate anyone could ever want. Just happy happy happy. Never bothered anything since day one. He is the one that may look the most like a flame angel. This is where I am tossed up.
Has anyone ever owned both and had them together?
Knowing him he will be zinging in and out of the rock work once all the live rock is in.
The flame angel will most likely too. I am just worried about a flame angel butting heads with him.
I usually feed frozen blood worms, mysis w/sp, brine, and cut thin tiny scallop pieces. Flake food.
All opinions are accepted. Just need to keep the peace in the tank and corals from getting nipped. Thanks for reading my post. If they are bad with diseases. Let me know.

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept a few flames, in my experience, they've always been peaceful, not bullies at all. That being said, I've never had one turn out to be safe around corals.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and what was your feeding schedule? I have been reading everyone's threads. Great help! I am trying to zero down reasons for them nipping at corals. They are definitely hardwired internally through evolution to be like this. So the consensus is not if but when they turn to the corals. I am just wondering, because there is so many people that feed every other day. They are giving those amazing little fish time to let their minds go off of natural instinct in between feedings. They look for that little extra snack in between feedings. I am trying to not base my tank upon luck, because luck never worked for me haha.

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed once daily. I tried on two seperate occasions with a 55 gallon, and tried once more with a 250 gallon.
If you try, make sure to feed a good angel food rich in sponge.
A flame in a reef is definitely trying to play the luck system. Mine were always good around sps, but softies, lps or clams all got picked.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually feed once daily. I tried on two seperate occasions with a 55 gallon, and tried once more with a 250 gallon.
If you try, make sure to feed a good angel food rich in sponge.
A flame in a reef is definitely trying to play the luck system. Mine were always good around sps, but softies, lps or clams all got picked.
Dang.. I used to have a ton of sponge under my 22lbs of LR in my 20g. Had to nuke the rocks before I put them in the 40B. Picked up a frag with 4 aiptasia on it. Didn't see them.. Threw it in the 20g after a long day of traveling, and you know what happens next. When I woke up it was to late. About a month into fixing that problem now. So sponges. I will look for small pieces of it at the LFS. See if anyone has some under l lb piece with some to start a growth of it. Thanks for that tip

TroutbumNV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang.. I used to have a ton of sponge under my 22lbs of LR in my 20g. Had to nuke the rocks before I put them in the 40B. Picked up a frag with 4 aiptasia on it. Didn't see them.. Threw it in the 20g after a long day of traveling, and you know what happens next. When I woke up it was to late. About a month into fixing that problem now. So sponges. I will look for small pieces of it at the LFS. See if anyone has some under l lb piece with some to start a growth of it. Thanks for that tip
It doesnt have to be live. Ocean Nutrition and Hikari both have frozen angel food that has sponges in it. I think there might be dry foods too, just cant think of them off the top of my head.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back