40G Breeder Thoughts / Ideas

cdcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning All,

I have a 40g Breeder setup, currently running 2 AI Primes, a 306 Fluval canister filter, with a Duetto ATO. I had a HOB filter running Polyfil, however i haven't been running for the last 3 months and haven't noticed too much of a difference. i did just small powerhead to run across the back today to assist with flow.
Is there any other equipment that I could be running to improve my setup? I don't really have the space to install a sump.
10% Water changes are done weekly.
I've attached some pictures and videos to show what kind of progression the tank has gone through over the last 10 months.
I have lost some pulsing xenia, a hammer coral, and my toadstools never seem to open up. All other corals are growing, slowly.
I am going to try to frag the frogspawn / candy cane as they are getting pretty big for their current frag plugs. I'd love to hear any tool options / recommendations for fragging those.

Ran some tests on Saturday before the 10% water change.
Calcium: 494 ppm
Alk: 6.8 dKH
Magnesium: 1200
Salinity: 1.024
PH: 7.5 (i think i need a new probe, i don't know if i trust it)

Please let me know your thoughts!

Tank Now 3.jpg Tank Now.jpeg Tank Now2.jpg Thank Then.jpg Frogspawn.jpeg

Attachments

• Tank Video Now No Flow.MOV
    54.5 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would double the rock work. No where for fish to sleep at the moment.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is that it needs more rock, should be close to 35-40 lbs of rock.

I would also add more flow, my 40 breeder has 2 x 2k gyres.

The lights should be turned up close to max level. My 40 breeder has metal hallides plus 2 OR3 bars.

The alk is low for me, I like it at 8.5

1712503438657.png

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for test kits? What salt are you using? I think salt mix has more importance in smaller setups without a sump as there are less mechanisms for parameter control such as Alk, Cal, Mag. Choosing a salt mix that I s close to your desired parameters make controlling those parameters while doing water changes easier. Depending on the corals you want to house, your cal may be a little high, Alk a little low and mag a little low but they are probably close enough if kept stable.

What are your PO4 and NO3?

There are a lot of ways to keep coral today without the need for a bunch of gear (I can't believe I actually said that when I am the original gar junkie). Tropic Marin All For Reef is a great example and their carbo dosing program is a way of controlling nutrients without a lot of gear.

Investing in good test kits (my preference being the Hanna Checkers) as opposed to other gear and choosing a salt mix with parameters close to your goals is a good base to start from with smaller no sump setups, IMO.

A 40 breeder is a great tank that can house a variety of fish/coral.

Best of luck and Happy Reefing

OP
OP
cdcorals

cdcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for test kits? What salt are you using? I think salt mix has more importance in smaller setups without a sump as there are less mechanisms for parameter control such as Alk, Cal, Mag. Choosing a salt mix that I s close to your desired parameters make controlling those parameters while doing water changes easier. Depending on the corals you want to house, your cal may be a little high, Alk a little low and mag a little low but they are probably close enough if kept stable.

What are your PO4 and NO3?

There are a lot of ways to keep coral today without the need for a bunch of gear (I can't believe I actually said that when I am the original gar junkie). Tropic Marin All For Reef is a great example and their carbo dosing program is a way of controlling nutrients without a lot of gear.

Investing in good test kits (my preference being the Hanna Checkers) as opposed to other gear and choosing a salt mix with parameters close to your goals is a good base to start from with smaller no sump setups, IMO.

A 40 breeder is a great tank that can house a variety of fish/coral.

Best of luck and Happy Reefing
Thanks a ton for the reply!

I haven't tested for PO4 and NO3, since i moved last year.
I currently have Hannah for Alk and Calc and use Salifert for Magnesium. I was using instant ocean, however about a month ago just upgraded to Reef Crystals. I did just lower my salinity to 1.024 it was at 1.026, and i did see some changes in the directions I wanted.
Do you recommend a different type?

I've looked into the All for Reef but was waiting to see if weekly water changes would be sufficient, my levels have been stable but are below what i am looking for. I'll do some research.

Thank you!

OP
OP
cdcorals

cdcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is that it needs more rock, should be close to 35-40 lbs of rock.

I would also add more flow, my 40 breeder has 2 x 2k gyres.

The lights should be turned up close to max level. My 40 breeder has metal hallides plus 2 OR3 bars.

The alk is low for me, I like it at 8.5

1712503438657.png
Appreciate the input, i love the look of your tank!

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton for the reply!

I haven't tested for PO4 and NO3, since i moved last year.
I currently have Hannah for Alk and Calc and use Salifert for Magnesium. I was using instant ocean, however about a month ago just upgraded to Reef Crystals. I did just lower my salinity to 1.024 it was at 1.026, and i did see some changes in the directions I wanted.
Do you recommend a different type?

I've looked into the All for Reef but was waiting to see if weekly water changes would be sufficient, my levels have been stable but are below what i am looking for. I'll do some research.

Thank you!
I have no recommendations on salt except to go with one that matches your parameters. IO can fluctuate but can be around 410 cal, 10-11 alk and 1275-1350 mag while RC tends to be higher across the board sometimes as high as 13 alk, 490 cal and over 1400 mag. These numbers are what I found on the web and, most of the time, parameters are reported at 1.026 sg or 1.025 so your 1.024 would result in lower numbers.

You may want to look into the Hanna Ultra Low Range Phos Checker and their Nitrate checker to monitor nutrients. I like Hanna because I find it difficult to read the color changes in other test kits.

Weekly water changes can take care of your alk/cal consumption if your system is low load. Just make sure your salt mix is giving you the parameters you want.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back