40gal Stocking List

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I have an established redsea max e170. It is ~37gal display and 45gal total volume. It has quite a lot of live rock and will mostly be softies and LPS.
I currently have:
(2) ocellaris clown fish
(1) midas blenny.
(1) cleaner shrimp
(1) fire shrimp
(1) tiger conch
Tons of snails

All three of the fish have a lot of character, and are fairly peaceful. I want to add two more fish with fun personalities. I was thinking of adding a longnose hawkfish and a six line wrasse.

I was looking at the hawkfish for its unique behavior and perching tendancy. And the six line wrasse for its high activity and parasite/ crud picking behaviors.

My understanding is that the midas blenny, hawkfish, and wrasse can all be considered semi aggressive. I am hoping they are different enough color and body shapes that they will be fine together. What do you all think?

Finally I am not married to the idea of a six line wrasse, are there any others that you would suggest? I like the look of the flasher wrasses, but how is there personality?

I'd love to hear any and all experiences and suggestions!
Cheers!
1000003985.jpg

Last edited:

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lubbock's wrasse would be another good choice if you're looking for wrasse. They stay relatively small

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longfin Wrasse could also be an option, I added a Longfin Fairy Wrasse and a Lubbock's Wrasse (mentioned above) to my system yesterday. If you have enough hiding spots in your reef aggression isn't much of a problem, or at least for me it hasn't been, but I do have a large tank 300g dt.

Longfin Fairy Wrasse, or Social Fairy Wrasse. He went right up to my Tang Gang and started swimming with them, rushes the glass when I walk up to the tank, a lot of personality and he is very visible right away in my tank, while most the smaller fish I add tend to hide for a few days. I also have a Mystery flasher wrasse and a pintail wrasse. My 6line jumped into the drain and is living in my sump and has proved impossible to catch so he just stays there.
1714567718528.png

Lubbock's Wrasse

1714567747770.png

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hawk is a predation risk on the shrimp, or at least on any new cleaner shrimp you add in the future. The six line may well decide to beat everyone up.

Royal grammas are underrated. That's a good option.

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hawk is a predation risk on the shrimp, or at least on any new cleaner shrimp you add in the future. The six line may well decide to beat everyone up.

Royal grammas are underrated. That's a good option.
What is the personality like on a royal grammar? I have gotten the impression they just kinda float around all day.

OP
OP
MattPLaw

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longfin Wrasse could also be an option, I added a Longfin Fairy Wrasse and a Lubbock's Wrasse (mentioned above) to my system yesterday. If you have enough hiding spots in your reef aggression isn't much of a problem, or at least for me it hasn't been, but I do have a large tank 300g dt.

Longfin Fairy Wrasse, or Social Fairy Wrasse. He went right up to my Tang Gang and started swimming with them, rushes the glass when I walk up to the tank, a lot of personality and he is very visible right away in my tank, while most the smaller fish I add tend to hide for a few days. I also have a Mystery flasher wrasse and a pintail wrasse. My 6line jumped into the drain and is living in my sump and has proved impossible to catch so he just stays there.
1714567718528.png

Lubbock's Wrasse

1714567747770.png
That longfin is beautiful . Is there a difference between males and females?

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly quite a few wrasses that would be better fits as far as aggression. I absolutely love my wrasses in my tank, but I also have a larger display. They are always active and most of them play a role in keeping my tank clean/pest free.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the personality like on a royal grammar? I have gotten the impression they just kinda float around all day.
No, mine is either out and about exploring, or hanging out in a protected area (they like little caves), sometimes upside down. They're somewhat territorial but that behavior is usually just an open mouth warning with some gill flaring, which is pretty interesting to watch.

I've had mine for a couple months short of ten years and it is going strong, so a lot longer lived than any of the suggested wrasses.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back