5 clowns in a Nuvo 30 ?

reeferguy3303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a Nuvo 30 and the tank is full of Nems and wanted to do clowns only. Is it possible to have 5 clowns ? 3 won't work as the two would pair off and kill the lonely one and im afraid if I try to get 4 there will be 2 pairs that fight constantly. I plan in getting them from the same clutch all at juvenile stage

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can search for "Harem tank" and also check out the BRS series on harem tanks. IMO I would not recommend putting more than two clownfish in a 30 gallon tank - it is likely a matter of time until it results in harmful aggression.

OP
OP
reeferguy3303

reeferguy3303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can search for "Harem tank" and also check out the BRS series on harem tanks. IMO I would not recommend putting more than two clownfish in a 30 gallon tank - it is likely a matter of time until it results in harmful aggression.
Wanted to do a mini harem. I know clowns are very aggressive but wanted to see if its possible

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wanted to do a mini harem. I know clowns are very aggressive but wanted to see if its possible

I understand and agree that it would be really neat if it worked, however IMO there is a low chance of success and I do not recommend it for the sake of the fish.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say so maybe. Do either Ocellaris, Percula for BTAs, Carpets and magnificent anemones and Skunk Clownfish for Sebae anemones but I would assume you have BTAs so maybe stick with Ocellaris/Percula.

Feed maybe 4-7 times a day as that will reduce food aggression and they won't battle for it. Now habitat aggression is another thing to worry about but just pack the tank with anemones (Which I think you did). Feed the anemones also. Now dominance is what you should worry about. Normally with a pair, the biggest one (Or more dominant) clown will become the female no issues but with a harem it should play out normally to but you cannot really do anything to help that, a couple nipped fins isn't a big deal. Also, a male will become the dominant male and be the one to breed aswell. I think (IMO) that harems are hard to do in small tanks is because the clownfish need room to escape fighting and aggression, and sometimes clowns can be bullied for small reasons. According to BRS, they said that a clowns aggression bubble is 1-2 feet so varied rockwork with tunnels caves and small crevices (For the foot of the BTAs) will hopefully let the clowns escape the aggression.
More Clowns will distribute the aggression but maybe stick to 1 clown per 4-7 gallons. Also have a good filtration system to get rid of all that waste and a refugium. Also RESIST CHANGES. Watch this:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had six in a 20 gal drop off at onee time. Do expect some chasing and squabbling

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes and I now have a 50g drop off and that one has 11 clowns

dropQ.jpg
dropQ.jpg
dropU.jpg
dropV.jpg
dropF.jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back