5" Majestic Angel!

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife and I have been looking for one last addition to our lightly stocked 125 reef. It's been a bit of a struggle on coral lately due to life getting in the way of tank maintenance, and we lost a lot.

She has always wanted a majestic angel (probably her 2nd favorite fish), but was worried about her corals. Now that she isn't caring so much about those and cares more about the fish side, I got us a 5" Majestic Angel on the way next week. So excited!

I know they're shy, but any advice on these? Nori? Frozen? Flakes/pellets?

Here's our current setup.

20240328_210951.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looked up some info on the majestic. Seems like a solid fish that's not as shy as regal angels. I guess you could set up several feeding stations.

Nori clip in a few spots, clam on half shell.

My regal wont touch prepared foods unless i smother my monti cap with it.

I don't think youll run into that kind of issue.

Hopefully you'll be able to keep her busy and off the coral.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife and I have been looking for one last addition to our lightly stocked 125 reef. It's been a bit of a struggle on coral lately due to life getting in the way of tank maintenance, and we lost a lot.

She has always wanted a majestic angel (probably her 2nd favorite fish), but was worried about her corals. Now that she isn't caring so much about those and cares more about the fish side, I got us a 5" Majestic Angel on the way next week. So excited!

20240328_210951.jpg
Honestly, mine is incredibly happy with my regal and isn’t shy any more. She wasn’t happy when the tang went for her upon introduction but the tang was quickly put into line by the Foxfaces (at the time I had 2, currently I have 1).
IMG_9450.jpeg

That Powder Blue is likely to give her a nasty time if you don’t have an acclimation box. My tang is simply a bristletooth.
My angels eat everything I put in: pellet, nori and frozen. I have made nori a much bigger part of their diet recently and I’ve never seen nicer colours from my fish.
IMG_9447.jpeg

These angels are certainly a sturdy species, great for getting into Pomacanthus. And they supposedly get huge but I’ve yet to see one get bigger than 6-7 inches as their growth rate is painfully slow (My regal has a slower growth but it’s not by much).

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason why i want a regal more, is that you can get captive regals.

I am a fan of captive, i found they are much easier to feed, as they will eat almost anything, as long as its bright red and shiny.

But then again, i don't recall ever having issues getting an angel to eat dryed food unless it was sick.
But i have only had 4 angels in my entire reefing, Juvi Koran, Juvi Emperor, a dawrf flame, and the other a pygmy/cherub.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason why i want a regal more, is that you can get captive regals.

I am a fan of captive, i found they are much easier to feed, as they will eat almost anything, as long as its bright red and shiny.

But then again, i don't recall ever having issues getting an angel to eat dryed food unless it was sick.
But i have only had 4 angels in my entire reefing, Juvi Koran, Juvi Emperor, a dawrf flame, and the other a pygmy/cherub.
You can get both Regals and Majestics captive bred!

I’m pretty sure my first one was CB.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in! (Didn't qt this one. I know, I know). Fish looks very healthy and has great size on it.
We've never had a fish this pretty before.

It's a bit shy as everyone has mentioned but it is swimming out in the open and exploring. It's picked at a few rocks, I think ate one piece of mysis, and was very interested in prime reef flake. Absolutely stunning fish!

20240402_145215.jpg

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get both Regals and Majestics captive bred!

I’m pretty sure my first one was CB.
is that assumption just due to the size at purchase? I feel like if it was CB it would have been disclosed - most stores I know of love to tout their captive-bred stock. One of my LFS has gotten a few CB angels (majestics, regals, emps, coral beauty's) and it has been clearly indicated on the label, but the price is almost double in the case of majestics so that would have been another noticeable factor.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that assumption just due to the size at purchase? I feel like if it was CB it would have been disclosed - most stores I know of love to tout their captive-bred stock. One of my LFS has gotten a few CB angels (majestics, regals, emps, coral beauty's) and it has been clearly indicated on the label, but the price is almost double in the case of majestics so that would have been another noticeable factor.
I was going by price and also size but it was a while (over 4-5 years) ago that I had her - I’ve had 2 others since then and they were definitely not captive bred.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20240328_210951.jpg
My regal started out eating clam on the half shell. She loves that. She also loves mysis shrimp! I feed a large variety but thats what she started eating first and those angels are hard to get eating.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful majestic. @i cant think got a peek of these. lol. Wild fat yellow belly. Eating all frozen and pellets and flake. Took 18 months to source and she’s been part of the family since 7/23. Good luck w the Majestic. U can always add to the community.

Attachments

• IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 22

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already found the nori!

20240403_201031.jpg
I can’t wait till mine is big! He’s stunning at that size and I bet you can see the spots in the anal fin really well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back