OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is wet! Only 200 gallons so far while I wait on the ro to fill. I’m hoping to be full by the weekend. Next week should see water moving through a temporary sump while I build the permanent.

Last edited:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I'd vote xf280s like you said but also add Panta Rhei power heads instead of the mp60s. If you haven't seen them, check them out. They're going on my next build for sure

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is NICE. cant wait to see more. this stuff here is inspiration for sure.

Thanks this has been in the works for awhile now!

Awesome build! I'd vote xf280s like you said but also add Panta Rhei power heads instead of the mp60s. If you haven't seen them, check them out. They're going on my next build for sure

I went with two of the xf280s and they move a lot of water but I’m thinking that I’ll do at least one more and maybe even two. The plan right now is for the two to push water back towards the overflow and they do a good job but there’s definitely room for a third. I looked at the Pants Rhei pumps and if I remember right they only work up to 3/4” so they weren’t an option for me. Right now it’ll be the two 280s and four mp60s that I have for it already. Thinking pretty hard about adding two more 280s but haven’t decided yet.

how are you going to handle humidity down there.

So I live in Colorado with very little humidity to start, in the summer my house is cooled via and evaporative cooler so most of the windows are open 8 months of the year for that. In the winter it helps alleviate the dry heat but if humidity gets to high there will be a vent to the outside through the wall behind the tank. The vent is already there, I will just need to tie into it through the ceiling drywall. In the past I haven’t had an issue but this tank is a lot of surface area.

Clean build!!! What are you putting in it? That stand, it looks rather....underbuilt hahaha.....am I missing something?

It will be mixed Reef but primarily SPS, I had quite a bit of random stuff that I liked and higher end pieces some are doing ok and I lost quite a few when the house flooded but I’ll fill it in in time. For fish I really like wrasses and smaller fish but I have a few tangs as well. The stand should be more than enough to support the tank and then some. I did the math for vertical and compressive strength on all of the lumber before I finished the design. Each of the legs should hold close to the entire weight of the tank before failure and there’s 10 legs sooo. After I framed it with 2x4 Douglas for I laminated 3/4” plywood to each panel for torsional strength. There’s more to it but ultimately the stand should be capable of holding at least 10x the tank weight. I think a lot of diy stands are overbuilt. Different woods have different strengths and characteristics so it’s always good to research what you want to work with before you commit.

Here’s a few good resources;

https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/arch264/calculators/example7.1/index.html

http://workshopcompanion.com/KnowHow/Design/Nature_of_Wood/3_Wood_Strength/3_Wood_Strength.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is full and moving water! Having some issues with the drainage rates though. Have one L1 hooked up so far and the drains can just barely handle the flow. Its currently running at its lowest speed until I can figure out what’s bottlenecking the drains.

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little update with a few of my favorites! Tank is moving water through the sump and refugium both of which are temporary but they’ll do for now. Two L1 pumps may have been an overestimation on my part because just one maxes out the three 1.5” drains. I tried to set up as a bean animal but I need more than two 1.5” drains from the refugium into the sump. Lighting is only partly done and there’s no skimming yet, the apex needs programmed, still quite a bit to do!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is working intermittently. I haven’t had time to hook up the ATO so the sump level fluctuates about an inch a day from evaporation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has been in the plans for a few years now. I’m glad to see it wet and see the fish get a bigger home. The fish are much happier I think from the way they behave. A lot of them have been with me for years. The Hippo Tang was only 1/2” as was the Naso female. It’s great to be able to run all 6 powerheads at 100% and watch the fish play in the flow.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 111 43.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 122 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back