[5g tank] baby clown or yellow tail damsel

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a big Dino./cyano issue with my last nano which as coral only. People have suggested that my tank was too clean and advised me to get a single small fish.

My preference is a goby (like the clown goby), but I don't have a top on my tank and I know gobies are jumpers. Thus, I'm deciding between a small clown or a yellow tail damsel--leaning toward the yellow tail.

Which should I go with? If another non-jumping fish is better feel free to provide that information as well.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish jump, there is no such thing as a non jumper.

I think both of those fish would appreciate more room. If I had a 5 gal tank, i.would keep a few barnacle blennies

U

User1

View Badges
Single small fish you are looking at a goby. You could also do a goby pistol shrimp combo. Damsel is too big as would be a clown. I recently took down a 5 gallon nano although it was tall I only housed a baby matted file fish that was too small for my 210 gallon tank. It was the size of a dime so put it in there until it got a bit larger then moved it over.

I was looking to replace it and the Striped Upside Down Trimma or Yellow Trimma Goby was on my to buy list. Captive bred, small, and would do well in a 5 gallon. The yellow or blue neon goby is another good option. You could get two if you find them for sale as a pair - otherwise 1 only.

Depending on the tank layout nano tanks are typically limited with what type of fish you can keep if you are being a good hobbyist. Even small fish roam so best bet is to search on nano saltwater fish and then narrow it down from there based on your tank size. In our case we want smaller fish especially as your tank matures and corals grow.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a top of some form on that tank is a very simple fix and the idea of jumpers vs non-jumpers is a myth. There is simply more prone vs less prone and a Damsel or Clownfish is much more likely to jump in a super cramped environment like that one. Get a lid and a Clown Goby and call it good.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back