5gl Nem tank?

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this belongs in the thread but I’m thinking about getting a small AIO tank and making it strictly for bubble tips but I’m newish to the hobby so any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! I’m wanting to strictly do bubble tips with no fish, at the moment, if so would I need to cycle? What if I used water from my main tank? This would be the first time I’ve tried this so is there anything I should know, is it a bad idea? Open for anything!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend it for a couple reasons. Anemone need a mature system, so you're looking at around 9 months before adding it. Second, they grow. One of my BTA would just about fill up a 5g.

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend it for a couple reasons. Anemone need a mature system, so you're looking at around 9 months before adding it. Second, they grow. One of my BTA would just about fill up a 5g.
I was definitely thinking that a 5gl may be too small for sure, but even without fish the tank would still have to cycle? Genuinely curious because I’m new to this and I’ve never done an all coral tank. This is the only tank that I have and I’ve had it for about 4 months now

Attachments

• 587093D1-64F1-45EE-B7D2-93BDD97D983D.jpeg
    587093D1-64F1-45EE-B7D2-93BDD97D983D.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 40

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Coral added to a brand new system with dry rock won't make it. Generally its a good idea to wait a couple months after cycle to add any. This allows nutrients to balance out and the reefer to get a handle on managing parameters. A sterile tank like that will not have the environment that coral need.

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Coral added to a brand new system with dry rock won't make it. Generally its a good idea to wait a couple months after cycle to add any. This allows nutrients to balance out and the reefer to get a handle on managing parameters. A sterile tank like that will not have the environment that coral need.
Ahhh makes sense! Preciate it! I will definitely hold off for now and if anything later on down the road add another one to my current tank

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully I added coral a week after setting up a tank and that was almost a year ago and they’re beyond thriving they’re multiplying like crazy. Granted they’re soft corals and some favia* but still.

Edit and that was with dry rock and regular sand.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully I added coral a week after setting up a tank and that was almost a year ago and they’re beyond thriving they’re multiplying like crazy. Granted they’re soft corals and some favia* but still.

Congrats. Still not something that should be recommended to new reefers.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Coral added to a brand new system with dry rock won't make it. Generally its a good idea to wait a couple months after cycle to add any.
Ehhhhhh, I'm no expert reefer, but I think this is a pretty patently false statement. Adding coral to a young system is not a guaranteed failure. Some will of course not survive (acros), but others like LPS or especially softies will handle it just fine.

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. Still not something that should be recommended to new reefers.
Ehhhhhh, I'm no expert reefer, but I think this is a pretty patently false statement. Adding coral to a young system is not a guaranteed failure. Some will of course not survive (acros), but others like LPS or especially softies will handle it just fine.
I agree this is false. I know dozens of credible reefers who add soft and lps corals as soon as day one. @gavinz ive setup 4 tanks now the same with with soft and lps and I was inexperienced when did it and have just done research and learned. A nem in a 5 gallon is a no go forsure especially a newer tank but I know credible reefers who will agree with me, in terms of not having to wait that long for corals.

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did the same ngl. But my tank cycled within a week tho, granted I used live rock and live sand but still

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree this is false. I know dozens of credible reefers who add soft and lps corals as soon as day one. @gavinz ive setup 4 tanks now the same with with soft and lps and I was inexperienced when did it and have just done research and learned. A nem in a 5 gallon is a no go forsure especially a newer tank but I know credible reefers who will agree with me, in terms of not having to wait that long for corals.
5gl def too small would need to go up, I agree with that because the nem I have in the pic above is quite big already, but would the tank still have to cycle if I use water and rock from my main tank?

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same ngl. But my tank cycled within a week tho, granted I used live rock and live sand but still
If you want nems get rock flower anenomes (RFA) and wait for the tank to cycle and add them they’re incredibly hardy and will not suffer as long as parameters aren’t incredibly out of line.

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want nems get rock flower anenomes (RFA) and wait for the tank to cycle and add them they’re incredibly hardy and will not suffer as long as parameters aren’t incredibly out of line.
I’ve been thinking about adding one to my main but was going to wait a bit and allow everything to settle first since my nem is still trying to find a place it likes. It found 1 place and stayed there for 2 weeks then moved so we’ll see lol. The small one moved to 1 spot and hasn’t left yet

ghurlag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding Bubble Tips, one thing you have to keep in mind is they do best in a mature, stable environment. I bought a small RBTA a year and a half ago and put it into a "broken in" Nuvo 10g. Even when I was maintaining it well, the anemone split multiple times, until I had 4 little RBTAs. I would classify this as stress splitting. Fast forward to today, after a move and some months, the 10 gallon has effectively crashed and 2 of the 4 RBTAs are gone. 2 are left, but have no tentacles. They are barely surviving. I'm setting up a new Nuvo 25 Lagoon, but I'm not sure the anemones I have left are going to make it, unfortunately.

Like others have said, a growing Bubble Tip would fill a 5 gallon, and probably even a 10 gallon. I'm going to try again with the 25 gallon and see what sort of luck I have. I'll likely be forced to move the remaining 2 RBTAs before the tank is mature/stable, but that might be their best bet at survival at this point.

Just some food for thought on personal experience. It's free, so take that for what it's worth. ;)

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding Bubble Tips, one thing you have to keep in mind is they do best in a mature, stable environment. I bought a small RBTA a year and a half ago and put it into a "broken in" Nuvo 10g. Even when I was maintaining it well, the anemone split multiple times, until I had 4 little RBTAs. I would classify this as stress splitting. Fast forward to today, after a move and some months, the 10 gallon has effectively crashed and 2 of the 4 RBTAs are gone. 2 are left, but have no tentacles. They are barely surviving. I'm setting up a new Nuvo 25 Lagoon, but I'm not sure the anemones I have left are going to make it, unfortunately.

Like others have said, a growing Bubble Tip would fill a 5 gallon, and probably even a 10 gallon. I'm going to try again with the 25 gallon and see what sort of luck I have. I'll likely be forced to move the remaining 2 RBTAs before the tank is mature/stable, but that might be their best bet at survival at this point.

Just some food for thought on personal experience. It's free, so take that for what it's worth. ;)
I’m definitely listening lol cause that’s the only way to learn besides through experience and some of those situations I’d prefer to avoid lol so I’m def listening and taking it all to heart! It’s the only reason my tank has survived for this long lol. But how long did it take for you RBTA to crash? I’m only asking because I’ve only had my tank for 3 months, I know that’s a short time but I thought I had my tank for 6 months for some reason and now I have a RBTA, 2 actually, a big one and one that’s the size of my pinky nail so very tiny, and they’ve been in my tank for about a month now! They seem happy, they are both fully open, the big one stretches out and I’d like to keep it that way

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely listening lol cause that’s the only way to learn besides through experience and some of those situations I’d prefer to avoid lol so I’m def listening and taking it all to heart! It’s the only reason my tank has survived for this long lol. But how long did it take for you RBTA to crash? I’m only asking because I’ve only had my tank for 3 months, I know that’s a short time but I thought I had my tank for 6 months for some reason and now I have a RBTA, 2 actually, a big one and one that’s the size of my pinky nail so very tiny, and they’ve been in my tank for about a month now! They seem happy, they are both fully open, the big one stretches out and I’d like to keep it that way
You did the right thing coming and asking questions and researching that’s what a community is all about and it’s awesome you’re being open to all this information. Just to clarify fully,
BTAs are not recommended in smaller tanks because they grow, and can split when stressed or to multiply. Even after your tank is done cycling it still goes through multiple stages especially parameter fluctuations. This is why BTAs are recommended in older tanks because they are super sensitive and when they die they can release toxins that can nuke a tank.
Secondly the coral thing. Jekyl was right on not adding corals right away but there are groups of corals. I wouldn’t add SPS corals to a new tank as they need clean stable water. Softies/NPS/LPS genuinely like/handle dirty water which is why they can be added relatively sooner than later. Some seriously invested people add corals day one of a tank setup you can see thousands of YouTube videos like that.
But honestly I would start with a 40-60g+ for a BTA. Never owned one but this is the stuff I’ve learned from reading and learning from threads and conversations with people. Just wanted to clarify so I didn’t jump in and just fact check. It’s always good to inform. I’d keep researching though because in this hobby you will find a lot of opinions becoming facts, and a lot of minors becoming majors.
Best of luck,
Cheers

OP
OP
G

gavinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did the right thing coming and asking questions and researching that’s what a community is all about and it’s awesome you’re being open to all this information. Just to clarify fully,
BTAs are not recommended in smaller tanks because they grow, and can split when stressed or to multiply. Even after your tank is done cycling it still goes through multiple stages especially parameter fluctuations. This is why BTAs are recommended in older tanks because they are super sensitive and when they die they can release toxins that can nuke a tank.
Secondly the coral thing. Jekyl was right on not adding corals right away but there are groups of corals. I wouldn’t add SPS corals to a new tank as they need clean stable water. Softies/NPS/LPS genuinely like/handle dirty water which is why they can be added relatively sooner than later. Some seriously invested people add corals day one of a tank setup you can see thousands of YouTube videos like that.
But honestly I would start with a 40-60g+ for a BTA. Never owned one but this is the stuff I’ve learned from reading and learning from threads and conversations with people. Just wanted to clarify so I didn’t jump in and just fact check. It’s always good to inform. I’d keep researching though because in this hobby you will find a lot of opinions becoming facts, and a lot of minors becoming majors.
Best of luck,
Cheers
I know clean stable parameters is a must and I went into getting my RBTA knowing that but I got freaked out because I messed up and basically restarted my cycle in the tank a day after adding it because I changed out all my rock and didn’t think about it doing that!! So my parameters were absolutely less than perfect for about two weeks until now it’s finally calmed down and back to normal but I haven’t seen a change in either nem yet even with all of that so I’m wondering if it takes longer to show that they’re dying or if it’s immediately because I’ve always read that you need constant and stable conditions for them but after what I just went through I haven’t seen them act differently?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 46.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 44 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 14.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back