600 GPD RODI Filters? Good or Bad?

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a new 150 GPD RODI from BRS that's due to arrive today. My current 75 GDP takes 8 hours with a can at my kitchen sink to fill, so having this moved to the bathroom and taking half as long made me pull the trigger. A couple days later I see an ad for the ICP Analysis 600 GPD RODI selling for $350. Water change water ready in one hour?! Wishing I had seen this first. The easier a WC is, the more likely it is to happen consistently.

Anyone with experience on 600 GPD home use RODI? Drawbacks? I haven't got my BRS unit and am already considering a return. I doubt ICP Analysis "invented" or "engineered" this unit, but if they are putting their name on it I expect it does what it says it does. Thoughts?

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The County of San Diego has an RO unit that is making 50 Million GPD, and its good enough to drink. I am not sure they use any DI filters but I think that would be my concern on a fast flowing unit. What is the RO producing before the water hits the DI?

Otherwise, get one and let us know if we don't find someone who replies to your question. GL.

Also, I have had so many floods with a slow RODI I would hesitate to buy the flood maker @600GPD!:p:cool:

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only give my experience with 1000 GPD and 1500 GPD RO units.

With these units the membranes are way better. We used to get 0 TDS out of the 1500 GPD membrane with a starting TDS of 700. The commercial membranes just work way better than the small hobby ones. Just make sure that your pressure is high enough. These membranes require good pressure to work and if you need to add a booster pump they are not the normally hobby-sized ones. The commercial ones are very expensive.

OP
OP
V

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit I was looking at says it has an auto shut off at 30 minutes. That would be useful. Right now I’m setting a timer for eight hours. I received my shipment. Now to decide if I send it back in order the high output unit?

OP
OP
V

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my 600 GPD RODI and am ready to install. Quick notes - It doesn't come with a saddle valve you need to attach to existing under-cabinet plumbing. The instructions say to run waste water into the floor drain. Floor drains under kitchen or bathroom sinks aren't a thing where I live so I had to go buy one. (BRS RODI systems come with saddle valves)

Post install thoughts to come...

OP
OP
V

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was fast... in a bad way. The included parts don't fit. Local plumbing store was full of dumb looks when I tried to get parts there. Super-frustrating fail at this stage.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back