72 L x 30 W x 18 H lighting question (LPS)

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a question regarding lighting.

So I have an aquatic life T5 fixture with 5 PopBloom RS90 LED fixtures(similar to Redsea rs90) on my system

I’m looking to upgrade lighting to accommodate LPS majority , rock flowers, minimaxi carpet anemones, softies , gonis , zoas , mushrooms. And a few easy sps, montis etc. also have 4 frags of acro that are growing but not expected to thrive as I have a higher nutrient system, they are there to tell me when **** hits the fan and tank needs closer attention so to speak.

So as it stands right now , I’m getting great growth and things look happy but I think the T5 look like garbage or just not to my liking. So I was thinking get a few new fixtures and was wondering thoughts on people’s opinion on what would be a good light fit for my system.
AI hydras?
Radions?
Neptune sky?
Other options?
Reefi Duo is a negative as I can’t seem to get a response from their rep and I’m in Canada and won’t pay stupid over order fees.

Thanks

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple of Quanta Pro bars and call it a day. Very simple on/off without connecting to apps, wifi, etc. Don't overthink lighting, keep it simple if you can because the animals don't care.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my reef breeders! the prices keep going up along with everything else but you can find some used ones still. I have a 48 and a 24 over my 180

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of Quanta Pro bars and call it a day. Very simple on/off without connecting to apps, wifi, etc. Don't overthink lighting, keep it simple if you can because the animals don't care.
They don’t make anything bigger than a 48”

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a wifi app out of curiosity?
They do. I don’t love it as much as AI but it is perfectly fine for me.
They don’t make anything bigger than a 48”
The photons come as big as 50” I think but not sure of any benefits over a 48. Most people recommend a two 36” over a 6’ tank. And for what it’s worth, they are about to release their new product line the Meridian.

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do. I don’t love it as much as AI but it is perfectly fine for me.

The photons come as big as 50” I think but not sure of any benefits over a 48. Most people recommend a two 36” over a 6’ tank. And for what it’s worth, they are about to release their new product line the Meridian.
Oh nice. I will check those out for sure. I wouldn’t need crazy high output light, but I am after quality light and appearance for sure. It’s mainly LPS, and softies , and easy sps like monti etc

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a question regarding lighting.

So I have an aquatic life T5 fixture with 5 PopBloom RS90 LED fixtures(similar to Redsea rs90) on my system

I’m looking to upgrade lighting to accommodate LPS majority , rock flowers, minimaxi carpet anemones, softies , gonis , zoas , mushrooms. And a few easy sps, montis etc. also have 4 frags of acro that are growing but not expected to thrive as I have a higher nutrient system, they are there to tell me when **** hits the fan and tank needs closer attention so to speak.

So as it stands right now , I’m getting great growth and things look happy but I think the T5 look like garbage or just not to my liking. So I was thinking get a few new fixtures and was wondering thoughts on people’s opinion on what would be a good light fit for my system.
AI hydras?
Radions?
Neptune sky?
Other options?
Reefi Duo is a negative as I can’t seem to get a response from their rep and I’m in Canada and won’t pay stupid over order fees.

Thanks
Your 30 wide makes your choices more difficult.. more like expensive than difficult if you want good broad coverage.
Like if you removes the t5's you'd probably need 5 more RS90's.

$2119.90 and hang them you can replace the 10 (5 imaginary) RS90's for some AI primes (15x15 spacing roughly.)

May get away with 8.
440watts.
$1695
Tanks approx 168 gallons.

4 Hydras 32HD $1372

Did you consider the "other" popbloom lines?
Since you seem adventurous you can check out the Micmol line.
also sold at BRS under the AquaMAXX label.

Or the Nicrew line?
Or 4 Razors sideways
ect.
Best to narrow down your own wants/needs. Color, function, look, price, mount ect.

Start with coverage and # of photons.
brs.JPG

There are of course others.

What do you mean by the t5's look like garbage? I assume form not function?

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 30 wide makes your choices more difficult.. more like expensive than difficult if you want good broad coverage.
Like if you removes the t5's you'd probably need 5 more RS90's.

$2119.90 and hang them you can replace the 10 (5 imaginary) RS90's for some AI primes (15x15 spacing roughly.)

May get away with 8.
440watts.
$1695
Tanks approx 168 gallons.

4 Hydras 32HD $1372

Did you consider the "other" popbloom lines?
Since you seem adventurous you can check out the Micmol line.
also sold at BRS under the AquaMAXX label.

Or the Nicrew line?
Or 4 Razors sideways
ect.
Best to narrow down your own wants/needs. Color, function, look, price, mount ect.

Start with coverage and # of photons.
brs.JPG

There are of course others.

What do you mean by the t5's look like garbage? I assume form not function?
These PopBloom have honestly been great and the app is actually really decent too.
But I might give these to my kid.
Money isn’t really an issue , I just wanna get the necessary lights for better coverage, but I was hoping to avoid the tangled wire mess as the fixture is hanging. (Definitely not going then AI 16s as the wiring would look horrendous. And as I recall the 32/64 HDs spread isn’t as great as the Radions?

Yeah , just not a fan of the T5s look , looks bland to me, and honestly on my system I use them 2 hours a day. Maybe I should just remove the T5 guts and install some XHO ReefBrites in their place.

LPS is my priority, eg colour pop, shimmer, and majority are not very light demanding in any which way.

I just kinda wanted a few lights , less cords, nice and easy adjustable app. I know radions would be overkill on my system but who knows what the future brings and could some day go more sps , who knows.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These PopBloom have honestly been great and the app is actually really decent too.
But I might give these to my kid.
Money isn’t really an issue , I just wanna get the necessary lights for better coverage, but I was hoping to avoid the tangled wire mess as the fixture is hanging. (Definitely not going then AI 16s as the wiring would look horrendous. And as I recall the 32/64 HDs spread isn’t as great as the Radions?

Yeah , just not a fan of the T5s look , looks bland to me, and honestly on my system I use them 2 hours a day. Maybe I should just remove the T5 guts and install some XHO ReefBrites in their place.

LPS is my priority, eg colour pop, shimmer, and majority are not very light demanding in any which way.

I just kinda wanted a few lights , less cords, nice and easy adjustable app. I know radions would be overkill on my system but who knows what the future brings and could some day go more sps , who knows.
If you go the gut route you may want to consider the " regular" Quanta meso blue bars in 36".
Daisy chain-able but " dumb" lighting.
Any light bar running constant voltage can be chained with the proper power supply.
The " specifics" are a bit light ( pun) here and sadly ATM only the one spectrum.
But should give pop, shimmer, and low cordage.
Add a timer keeping your pop bloom as main lighting, or " upgrade".

4 bars $420 plus possible $100 extra for power supply (?)

Hmmm .hard to tell if Quanta is " pro" or " reg" here but still some tips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the gut route you may want to consider the " regular" Quanta meso blue bars in 36".
Daisy chain-able but " dumb" lighting.
Any light bar running constant voltage can be chained with the proper power supply.
The " specifics" are a bit light ( pun) here and sadly ATM only the one spectrum.
But should give pop, shimmer, and low cordage.
Add a timer keeping your pop bloom as main lighting, or " upgrade".

4 bars $420 plus possible $100 extra for power supply (?)

Hmmm .hard to tell if Quanta is " pro" or " reg" here but still some tips.
Appreciate the time with your responses. I will definitely be doing more research but I like your thought process. Cheers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back