85 days fallow...

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a velvet wipeout in my 55g tank. I had one survivor which was A black and white clown. Well 85 days later.. put my clown back in and he’s covered in gold dust. What did I do wrong?! I went over the recommended 76 days with nothing but snails and shrimp in my tank. I can’t believe this. I am going to tear the tank down and start all over. I would like to save the rock. Would I just bleach it?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider, removing everything and dosing the tank copper while it was 85 day QT. The QT tank should of been copper dosed as well. The inverts could be set in a goldfish bowl with a bubbler and some broccoli. hindsight 20/20..
Suggestion:Get a brute can and fill it with fresh water and copper leave it in there for 1-2weeks. Then wash it out and use something to remove the copper. Wash it with a hose before tank placement. Get a copper tester before adding salt incase the copper is still present so no salt waste. If it reads "0" then add salt and DR. Tim's to start the cycle add the inverts and cycle tank. During the cycle, copper QT the clown. After cycle add the clow and wait a week. If everything is good then rebuild slowly, Qt everything. Dip everything....

OP
OP
Garyf7257

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the clown was treated with copper for about 3 weeks. He was in QT for the 85 days the tank went fallow

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back