Hospital Tank Setup and Configurations

AdotBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently have had a terrible time with my tank. I have noticed Black Ich on my tank and was advised to treat my fish with copper. I have 7 fish in the DT (6 in display and 1 in sump). about 10 corals and 7 snails. What would be my best and most cost and space (live in an apartment) friendly option.

Option 1: Move all corals and inverts to a small Aquaone tank and dose the Display

Option 2: Try and manage ich. I dont plan to add any new fish for atleast a year. I plan to upgrade my tank in 6-8 months, do i just do copper treatment before the transfer and fallow the rock for 76 days before i transfer over?

Option 3: Transfer fish into a new tank ( would be the most optimal, but also inconvenient option due to the size required and also fighting between fish). Have to figure a way to keep them in a small tank for 76 days.

I am really gutted as the tank had corals that were all settling in, I dont know if i can recover the tank.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently have had a terrible time with my tank. I have noticed Black Ich on my tank and was advised to treat my fish with copper. I have 7 fish in the DT (6 in display and 1 in sump). about 10 corals and 7 snails. What would be my best and most cost and space (live in an apartment) friendly option.

Option 1: Move all corals and inverts to a small Aquaone tank and dose the Display

Option 2: Try and manage ich. I dont plan to add any new fish for atleast a year. I plan to upgrade my tank in 6-8 months, do i just do copper treatment before the transfer and fallow the rock for 76 days before i transfer over?

Option 3: Transfer fish into a new tank ( would be the most optimal, but also inconvenient option due to the size required and also fighting between fish). Have to figure a way to keep them in a small tank for 76 days.

I am really gutted as the tank had corals that were all settling in, I dont know if i can recover the tank.

Thanks
Copper isn’t a good treatment for black ich, only velvet and regular ich.
Option 3 is the most expensive, hardest to do, but will give you the best results.

OP
OP
AdotBdot

AdotBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper isn’t a good treatment for black ich, only velvet and regular ich.
Option 3 is the most expensive, hardest to do, but will give you the best results.
Hi Jay, thanks for being such an awesome resource and helping me with my problems. Here is a photo of my tang, this is follow up to the Bulged eye that I had asked previously. Is this not black ich that I see ?

What is the best course of action here ?

Attachments

• 84b3b15b-7a8d-4968-a3ea-9df40f386a96.jpeg
    84b3b15b-7a8d-4968-a3ea-9df40f386a96.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 28

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
I currently am in the middle of your option 3. Its tough but my fish are looking so much better... well the ones that made it :( Needless to say I will be quarantining all of my future fish. The fish were very tough to catch but I did after a few hours. I guess I dont have specific advise for you but dont give up. I also installed a UV sterilizer to help manage for the future. I can defiantly see the water clarity change in my water changes but haven't put my fish back in yet to know for sure if it helped with the management.

OP
OP
AdotBdot

AdotBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently am in the middle of your option 3. Its tough but my fish are looking so much better... well the ones that made it :( Needless to say I will be quarantining all of my future fish. The fish were very tough to catch but I did after a few hours. I guess I dont have specific advise for you but dont give up. I also installed a UV sterilizer to help manage for the future. I can defiantly see the water clarity change in my water changes but haven't put my fish back in yet to know for sure if it helped with the management.
Thanks for the motivation, I think I’m going to give away my Bristletooth and Dotty Back and just try and quarantine the 5 juvenile ones back.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, thanks for being such an awesome resource and helping me with my problems. Here is a photo of my tang, this is follow up to the Bulged eye that I had asked previously. Is this not black ich that I see ?

What is the best course of action here ?

That does look like "black ich", That is caused by a turbellarian worm. Copper won't help with that. Formalin dips will, as well as possibly FW dips. However, dipping the fish and returning it to the same tank can cause reinfection. You'll read a lot about using praziquantel for this issue - but that drug is only effective against flukes and tapeworms, and turbellarians are neither of those. Luckily, in some cases, this is a self-limiting infection - it often dies out on its own.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back