~8ft build ( Sydney, AUS )

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's my dream tank, glass or acrylic? I am trying to build something similar to that with help from a friend who owns LFS
Pretty much the same dimensions as yours but made in acrylic

Last edited:

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys :)

Here's a project I've been working on recently! Honestly it's turned out better than I anticipated. One of the main objectives was to have a large proportion of the rocks suspended off the sand. The way I was able to achieve this was by bending black perspex into square C shapes allowing for rocks to be placed on top of the stands. I will elaborate and take some photos of the C stands in future posts. Following that is an issue that has always been critical for me in any tank, the sound; namely speaking the constant gurgling of the water going from the overflow into the sump. I wanted silent, dead silent... It was especially important for me this time as the tank would be a main feature in the living space. I achieved this by employing the herbie bean animal overflow system. If you don't know what it is just do a quick google search. I don't think I would ever plumb a tank again that doesn't utilise this.

Now to the plumbing... A significant portion of time was spent making sure that each pipe was cut and glued in a way that made the final look extremely clean and neat. I used a combination of black irrigation fittings which screw into each other and standard white pvc pressure piping. Initially I was planning to plumb the whole tank in the black irrigation fittings and pipe for the cleanest look. However after doing some research I realised the black irrigation fittings didn't come with 1"1/4 black piping. In the end the white, black and blue colour scheme worked pretty well, especially with the new Ecotech Vectra pump which sports the same colours. Oh and yes... unions... unions galore. Happy to answer any other of your questions regarding the plumbing :)

2400 x 700 x 600
~8ft x 28" x 24"
1008 L / 265 Gal
Skimmer: Royal Exclusive 250 w/ RD3 Speedy
Biopellet reactor: Reef Octopus Bio Churn 150 EXT
Rock: Real Reef Rock​

562A7913.jpg

562A7911.jpg
562A7902.jpg
562A7897.jpg
562A7906.jpg
562A7900.jpg
562A7899.jpg

562A7915.jpg

Happy Reefing :D
That's real nice! You probably should just send that to me in the mail to look after it for you:D

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show more pictures of the aquascaping on the right? I can't tell if it's attached to the back wall or not.
Looks great!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back