OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the shower pvc to create a tub in the bottom of the tank. Awesome idea. Sump is in now time to plumb.

6D25487F-72B0-4E6C-87DC-A9D00CCD2A00.JPG

50031386-2CB8-400B-8CC2-20A6DE1FD510.jpg

E09208B7-A75E-441F-BF7E-AD305E0D238D.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can throw one of those cheap battery operated leak detectors (around $10-$15) that gives off a loud sound into the bottom on top of the shower liner if you want to get a "notice" if an overflow starts! I think I saw some cheap ones on BRS awhile back.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycle has finally begun! I can't wait for it to finish.

94449A25-CBD7-4CF8-B686-4F36FF730CF2.JPG

387BF65D-3E58-461A-B631-B1A0D640A4BB.JPG

A0333AC5-CB26-4BB0-AD94-46B58E67A52E.JPG

9BB68D82-714E-4BD4-B5B4-B61A54D91544.JPG

Nirethell

Typical Wannabe Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking Fantastic! I'm doing an incredibly similar build if you want to check mine out its here. I did want to ask, have you thought about phosphate removal? or maybe a carbon reactor (Im running bags so I wont be doing a carbon reactor but I am certainly going with a gfo reactor) Also are you going to use something for an ATO? Have you given any thought to how you are going to dose? Just want to make sure all of this is running through your mind before you get fish. I decided to QT everything even before introducing to a brand new tank.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my tank now about 6 months in. Magnificent foxface, a few blue green chromis, 2 clowns, diamond watchman, Yasha Goby pistol pair, about a dozen different corals, lots of snails and hermits, and a serpent star. Losses so far have been one birds nest coral and 2 chromis. I almost lost my foxface but was able to bring him back to good health.

IMG_4801.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your aquascape, there's a lot going on but it still looks pretty simple!

dima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Have u had any problems keeping couple of chromis together?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were 5. I had one bully that killed one and was working on the others. I caught him and banished him to the sump. I have 3 remaining. All get along well.

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Kinda funny how we jumped from March to August, but it's interesting to see the progression! What are you planning for your next steps forward?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Kinda funny how we jumped from March to August, but it's interesting to see the progression! What are you planning for your next steps forward?
Yes, the thread fell off my plate for a while. That picture is actually from June. I thought it was newer but it’s missing some stuff. What’s next other than coral and livestock....hmmmm right now I am only running one ecotech xr-30 gen 3 pro I’d like to add another as money permits. I would also like to invest in a back up return pump and other back up equipment. I am paranoid of an equipment failure. I am running an apex junior with the Radion control, ph meter, temp, and leak sensors. I’d like to add to that as well. I am also working on keeping my nutrients under better control. For top off I’m using an 8 gallon garbage can and kalk with the icecap ato system. So far so good. It’s been keeping my alk steady at 10 and calcium at 450. I am having a lower than I’d like ph problem I average 7.8 - 8.01 (house sealed up pretty tight) I’ve tried everything from a co2 scrubber to running my skimmer with an outside airline, but I haven’t noticed much difference. Someone told me to try a different salt, so when I’m done with my Red Sea coral pro, I’ll try something like IO and see if it helps. My nitrates are good at around 5ppm, but my phosphates are a bit higher. A month ago I was at 1.5ppm I am now down to .5. I just added a clean up crew from reefcleaners and I started running rowaphos about 3 weeks ago. The rowaphos works but my levels have been depleting it pretty quick forcing me to change the rowa pretty often.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally started with a refugium in my trigger sump, but have since removed it. The layout of the trigger 36 sump made it a pain in the butt to change filter socks with the skimmer in the same compartment. For some reason my cheato died off so I decided to move the skimmer over and save myself the heartache of trying to change the filter socks. Now with the skimmer moved over, I change socks much more often. I love the trigger sump but in my opinion the filter sock holder in back sucks. On the side would be much better.

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the thread fell off my plate for a while. That picture is actually from June. I thought it was newer but it’s missing some stuff. What’s next other than coral and livestock....hmmmm right now I am only running one ecotech xr-30 gen 3 pro I’d like to add another as money permits. I would also like to invest in a back up return pump and other back up equipment. I am paranoid of an equipment failure. I am running an apex junior with the Radion control, ph meter, temp, and leak sensors. I’d like to add to that as well. I am also working on keeping my nutrients under better control. For top off I’m using an 8 gallon garbage can and kalk with the icecap ato system. So far so good. It’s been keeping my alk steady at 10 and calcium at 450. I am having a lower than I’d like ph problem I average 7.8 - 8.01 (house sealed up pretty tight) I’ve tried everything from a co2 scrubber to running my skimmer with an outside airline, but I haven’t noticed much difference. Someone told me to try a different salt, so when I’m done with my Red Sea coral pro, I’ll try something like IO and see if it helps. My nitrates are good at around 5ppm, but my phosphates are a bit higher. A month ago I was at 1.5ppm I am now down to .5. I just added a clean up crew from reefcleaners and I started running rowaphos about 3 weeks ago. The rowaphos works but my levels have been depleting it pretty quick forcing me to change the rowa pretty often.

Call me crazy, but I used the cheapest salt on the market, Coalife—$31.99 Shipped 200 Pound Box, and my pH hovers around 7.9 to 8.3 throughout the day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back