A lot of known people dont QUARANTINE!!!

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a copper killer back in the day..30 days of that at the right concentration (hard to gauge-hence the killer term") ... now I just do 10 days in 1.009 salinity (carefully checked each day)...and during the last 3 days - food soaked in fenbednazole...

This takes care of 99.9% of all issues...during the 10 days if I observe anything that requires abx -I'll move to a different tank and treat ( hasn't happened during the last 5 yrs)....

Flukes are a BIG problem now in this hobby...persistent ones that don't respond to prazi..or copper well...

These cases can be resolved using fenbednazole directly in the water...I think Humblefish has a protocol for that on here somewhere..

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish of Hex does qurantine and so does Mark Callahan aka Mr. Saltwatertank. People who don't qurantine are usually people who haven't gotten their whole system wiped out by Velvet or don't keep many tangs. There's many including me who didn't qurantine at first and then disaster happens and will always qurantine after that. Of course there's other exceptions like Paul B, but he has his own method and has been doing it for a long time.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Summer flounder in books but fluke here in NY. Flounders have eyes on the other side of their heads.

Blackfish are Tautog, strippers are bass. :)

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u mean winter flounder..we used to get them in early april near ambrose channel and the highlands...good eats

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been keeping saltwater fish since 1990 - never quarantined and never lost a fish to disease.

BS. I’ve been around just as long: Unless you’ve kept very few fish, this isn’t plausible. Sorry.

There really is something to gut bacteria and immunity and health. Frozen fish foods and even mixed bag of seafood I was using don't have live bacteria.

Paul is here, maybe he can answer this. Why is gut bacteria benefits associated only with non-quarantined fish? I feed live foods and fresh seafoods to my quarantined fish. Why would they not improve gut health over time?

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you ever doubt qt your fish just refer to mr saltwater tank. He creates client tanks instead of owning some YouTube channel

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BS. I’ve been around just as long: Unless you’ve kept very few fish, this isn’t plausible. Sorry.

Paul is here, maybe he can answer this. Why is gut bacteria benefits associated only with non-quarantined fish? I feed live foods and fresh seafoods to my quarantined fish. Why would they not improve gut health over time?
I don't understand these questions? What isn't plausable? I have not lost a single fish to a "comunicable" disease in maybe 40 years. But I have lost fish to other diseases. Many of them. But never ich, velvet, uromoma or those "catchy" things and I have kept every fish "keepable" ;)

If you feed fresh seafoods ,not from a LFS your fish should be immune to most things, but only if they are exposedto them

(trouble typing)

arm.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people afraid of parasites why not add a diatom filter to your tank? Quarantine or main tank. It will rmoveall parasites that go through it and keep them from becomming a "pandemic" by keeping their numbers low while at the same time alowing some of them to live tokeep your tank immune. Seems simple to me

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand these questions? What isn't plausable? I have not lost a single fish to a "comunicable" disease in maybe 40 years. But I have lost fish to other diseases. Many of them. But never ich, velvet, uromoma or those "catchy" things and I have kept every fish "keepable" ;)

If you feed fresh seafoods ,not from a LFS your fish should be immune to most things, but only if they are exposedto them

Don’t believe that for a second

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that advocate for skipping QT and having "healthy guts" have just never had an issue. Once they have an issue they will join the QT team.
Or they have never publicly admitted an issue. Or they attribute their issues to “other” causes besides parasites/bacteria such as contaminated water or just a fluke. (Pun intended).

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry about your hand! Been there myself.

He said simply "never lost a fish to disease". For 31 years? Sorry, I don't buy it. If it's true, they should kick Jay to the curb and put this guy in charge of the fish health forum.

Why are wild-caught fish so easily infected when exposed then? Weren't they eating fresh seafood in the ocean?

I don't understand these questions?
Why is gut bacteria benefits associated only with non-quarantined fish? I feed live foods and fresh seafoods to my quarantined fish. Why would they not improve gut health over time?

I prevent/cure disease in newly-acquired fish via prophylactic quarantine. Like you, I also feed live/fresh foods to my fish. Aren't we doing exactly the same method except I am treating for disease up front? How does quarantining a fish conflict with the PaulB way of keeping a fish?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do it right in front of them and become invisible.

The brain divides by zero and blocks reality

You have healthy fish by not QT yes, that doesnt mean that not QT is the right move. You got lucky :)

And by the way your fish look amazing! Side bar but I am going to be adding a lion to my "community" fish and am a little nervous, looks like you have had success. Any tips?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quarantine is clearly the right path to take. that being said i live in a condo and don't have the space or interest in having a sub-par looking mini system set up at all times.
so far aiptasia has been the only avoidable issue i've had. fingers crossed i never encounter anything more serious.

Back