a "normal" BTA

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having BTA's I read this forum regularly. I have seen many folks giving advice to others worried about a nem deflating or shriveling up regularly because their nems also regularly deflate or shrivel almost daily and sometimes even when the light is on. I've never observed any of my nine doing this in the 3 years I've had them and have to wonder is it really a normal healthy behavior? Even when the lights are off they stay open. Pic at bottom is an hour after lights have gone off taken with a flash and other is obviously during the day. They do show very slight deflation as compared to daytime but not much. I don't feed mine at all if that could be the reason.

IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0785[1].JPG

IMG_0785[1].JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never really closed up after lights went out either. What lighting type are you using?

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had nems for very long but both of mine deflate at 7pm on the dot daily to expel waste. I feed them about twice a week. When the lights go down, they deflate their bubble tips but stay open.

Those are some fantastic nems btw!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it's abnormal, if nothing is wrong then nothing is wrong, although it is more normal to see periodic deflation as opposed to never seeing it. It could be that you just don't see it happening, after all we aren't looking at our systems all the time.

OP
OP
jtf74

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it's abnormal, if nothing is wrong then nothing is wrong, although it is more normal to see periodic deflation as opposed to never seeing it. It could be that you just don't see it happening, after all we aren't looking at our systems all the time.
Ok sure. I've been home from Covid stay home orders for two months so I didn't see
I haven't had nems for very long but both of mine deflate at 7pm on the dot daily to expel waste. I feed them about twice a week. When the lights go down, they deflate their bubble tips but stay open.

Those are some fantastic nems btw!
Mine never really closed up after lights went out either. What lighting type are you using?
LED now but have used metal halide and t5 in the past with same resutls

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back