A place to buy Chloroquine

billw

Acroholic in Training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, called them and the have pulled it and don't see that anymore.
It's odd that they would advertise it as an antibiotic. Chloroquine is contraindicated with ampicillin as it decreases its effectivity. At least from what I read on the internet. And we all know, if it says it on the internet, it must be true :D.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Just spoke to the folks at Diamondback Drugs regarding the procedure. The Pharmacist there told me the vet has to specify quantity and dosage and she mentioned something about scoops. Maybe I misunderstood but I think she was referring to the concentration of the CP in the mixture they will be compounding. So I get this right the first time with my vet are these the correct numbers:
Quantity - 30 grams
Dosage - 40mg/gal
Concentration 99% +

Thanks for all you do to help us all.

Magoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just entering the hobby and have a 40g qt setup for my 120 DT and they’re cycling.

Simply stated, seems like CP is the most fish friendly and comprehensive preventive/proactive treatment to use in the QT process (after Prazipro treatment).

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume a vet won’t prescribe CP as a preventive measure, w/o having fish diagonsed with Ich, and in my case not evening having fish yet. (Could be wrong, would be interested if anyone achieved a script as a preventive.)

That stated. Is copper my next best option?

(BTW just read the ~80 pages in your quarantine thread Humble. Truly appreciate your contributions and knowledge).

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to take my fish in to my vet and pay an exam fee to get a RX of CP. Even though the fish was not showing signs at the time (due to the lie stage of ich), she did write me a script and sent it to Diamondback. However, I first had to show her all the science write ups about it first, forum post would not due for her. At first she would give me only amount I needed for one fish, but them I explained to her that it was same price if I bought 10 grams or 40 grams and I needed it for other fish. She finally ok'd it. It helps if already have a professional relationship with your vet and this isn't the first time going there.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does the 30mg end up costing from diamondback?

hopefully I can let you know here in a bit. I just spoke with my vet in person after dropping off some of the links here that I printed out. he has no clue about fish but we have a patient/dr relationship already for my dog and cat. he also deals with diamondback on the regular.

I spoke to a pharmacists at Diamondback and she said to have him call it in like any other Rx. He was hesitant because he didn't know what the dosage was etc.

I just told them

30g
40mg/gal
99%+ concentrated powder

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully I can let you know here in a bit. I just spoke with my vet in person after dropping off some of the links here that I printed out. he has no clue about fish but we have a patient/dr relationship already for my dog and cat. he also deals with diamondback on the regular.

I spoke to a pharmacists at Diamondback and she said to have him call it in like any other Rx. He was hesitant because he didn't know what the dosage was etc.

I just told them

30g
40mg/gal
99%+ concentrated powder

so order came out to $45.95 with standard shipping.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant topost this here but put it on the Chlorquine Phosphate main thread:

Went to see my vet about five weeks ago and brought along a folder with printed out versions of the two articles referenced by Humblefish at the start of this thread. I also included a cover letter detailing what I wanted and why. I also included a printed sheet with the quantity, dosage and concentration as discussed above as well as links to this thread and and the Chloroquine phosphate thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

She was impressed by my presentation and immediately agreed to call in an Rx to Diamondback.

My CP arrived a few days later; 30 grams bulk packed in a container with a measuring spoon. Only issue I see is the container says to discard after 10/4/18 giving me basically a six-month window to use it. My vet was kind enough to write the Rx with 2 refills before 4/6/19.

@Humblefish I know you mentioned that CP has a shelf life of 2-3 yrs. Would you be comfortable using this after the discard date?
When you say this is a "one & done" does that mean I do not have to gradually raise the level of CP over a period of days as we do with other copper treatments? Also would you suggest observing the fish for a few days before adding the CP or would you add the fish to CP treated water? I'll be using this prophylactically on some new fish.

JohnPeck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly, my union in a cost saving effort is promoting doctor's visits through video chats when we are sick. But my fish has to be seen in person.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I want to thank @DrCooper - a veterinarian & R2R member who put me in touch with this place.

Thanks to him, we now have access to a leading National Veterinary Compounding Pharmacy to supply CP for R2R members: http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/

This is how it works:
  1. You will still need to obtain a Rx from your local vet! However, knowing that a place who supplies medications for veterinary hospitals, zoos, public aquariums, etc. carries CP should alleviate the concerns of many local vets. :)
  2. Have your vet contact Diamondback Drugs with the Rx, and they will arrange payment and ship the CP directly to your door! That's it!
I have confirmed that Diamondback is sourcing their CP thru a Canadian wholesaler AND testing each & every batch before selling it. If its not 99.5% pure, it gets sent back to the wholesaler. :D They can provide a Certificate of Analysis to you or your vet.

I had a local vet here deny CP to me and then also contacted several other vets in my area and they all agreed saying "Everyone feels that copper is the best source of treatment for quarantine and isolation, as most people have run into resistance with chloroquine because of improper usage"

I'm pretty much screwed in my area (which I'm really starting to not like since the LFS aren't very good and now this). Is there anyway I can obtain this at this point? I would really prefer not to use Copper because CP is superior.

This is the closed I've seen online - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chloroquin...-velvet-brook-AQUARIUM-USE-ONLY-/231636780028

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the 5th day of treating my fish in qt for a velvet outbreak and this stuff is amazing. I was able to save the rest of my fish when I was sure that I was going to lose them all. I bought my CP off of ebay from thechemicalsource at a little more than a dollar a gram. I treated with 40mg per gallon and all fish look like they will make a full recovery. I plan on having this on hand as well as seeded HOB filter carts at all times moving forward. I will try to get a prescription for it through my vet but when time is of the essence, this route worked for me. Shipped super fast too.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the 5th day of treating my fish in qt for a velvet outbreak and this stuff is amazing. I was able to save the rest of my fish when I was sure that I was going to lose them all. I bought my CP off of ebay from thechemicalsource at a little more than a dollar a gram. I treated with 40mg per gallon and all fish look like they will make a full recovery. I plan on having this on hand as well as seeded HOB filter carts at all times moving forward. I will try to get a prescription for it through my vet but when time is of the essence, this route worked for me. Shipped super fast too.
Thank you! You are a fish saver! I'm going to order this from them. The vets suck (I've been denied so there is no other way for me). This will complete my medical supply for my fish :).

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is you don't know the potency of what you are getting from there, despite what the seller might say. There have been people on here in the past that bought off ebay and it didn't work, others who had no issues.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is you don't know the potency of what you are getting from there, despite what the seller might say. There have been people on here in the past that bought off ebay and it didn't work, others who had no issues.

I had read this too so I was very skeptical. My plan was to start with 40mg per gallon and up the dosage to 50mg then 60mg and so on every few days until I saw the fish improve. In my mind this approach would overcome the potency issue. I did not have to with this batch. I guess the other concern about what the other possible fillers/contents are is valid but when your fish get velvet, they are dead if you don't do anything so it was worth the risk.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read this too so I was very skeptical. My plan was to start with 40mg per gallon and up the dosage to 50mg then 60mg and so on every few days until I saw the fish improve. In my mind this approach would overcome the potency issue. I did not have to with this batch. I guess the other concern about what the other possible fillers/contents are is valid but when your fish get velvet, they are dead if you don't do anything so it was worth the risk.

I just ordered CP from that seller. Very reasonable less $15 for a bottle that treats 250 gallons. So happy I have it now and fully prepared for anything now [emoji106]

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this working out for you?

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this working out for you?

It's day 18 of the CP treatment and all fish look as healthy as they ever have. I pulled the regal tang out last week as he was not eating at all. I set up a little 10 gallon just for him (he is the size of a 1/2 dollar) and still cannot get him to eat anything. I am running no medication in the 10 gallon. He spends his day wedged under the heater and I am really worried that if he does not eat soon, he will die. I have started feeding the rest of the fish food soaked in metro + focus to take care of anything internal that they might have. I have been doing a 75 percent water change every 4-5 days to keep ammonia at bay and I'm not sure if the HOB filter that I am using just hasn't established enough of a bio filter yet or it is undersized for the load. I add the proper dosage of CP to the water change water each time to keep the levels where they need to be and plan on removing the medicine at day 30. I will add the fish minus the angels back to the main display at 70 days total QT. I plan on rehoming the angels once fully treated. So far, so good other than having to maintain 5 aquariums!

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's day 18 of the CP treatment and all fish look as healthy as they ever have. I pulled the regal tang out last week as he was not eating at all. I set up a little 10 gallon just for him (he is the size of a 1/2 dollar) and still cannot get him to eat anything. I am running no medication in the 10 gallon. He spends his day wedged under the heater and I am really worried that if he does not eat soon, he will die. I have started feeding the rest of the fish food soaked in metro + focus to take care of anything internal that they might have. I have been doing a 75 percent water change every 4-5 days to keep ammonia at bay and I'm not sure if the HOB filter that I am using just hasn't established enough of a bio filter yet or it is undersized for the load. I add the proper dosage of CP to the water change water each time to keep the levels where they need to be and plan on removing the medicine at day 30. I will add the fish minus the angels back to the main display at 70 days total QT. I plan on rehoming the angels once fully treated. So far, so good other than having to maintain 5 aquariums!

Regal tangs typically don't do well in CP. There are some people who have got them through it, but not enough for me to use CP on one. I had a regal about the same size I treated in copper, it was the fish that caused my ich and velvet outbreak and wiped out the whole tank. Regal stopped eating, lived over a month like that, tried live black worms, live brine, every kind of nori I had, and anything else I could and just refused to eat and didn't make it. Hopefully yours starts eating again soon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back