AC Baby Yellow Tang QT Method HELP plz

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up a biota YT from LFS. Tiny about 1 inch. I have QT all my fish and would like to also QT this YT as well. Will the standard QT method ok for the baby tang? Will it be too harmful to the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish had come straight from Biota, I would suggest that you add it right into a display (with compatible tank mates of course). Fish from Biota are considered pre-quarantined.

However, if it landed in a LFS's tanks, it has potentially picked up any diseases the other fish in their tanks had. Some dealers use system tanks that combine a bunch of tanks together, and diseases can really get ramped up in those if they don't take proper precautions.

I would use our standard quarantine on this fish. The only difference is to feed it multiple times per day on whatever it is feeding on well at this stage. I've used Otohime and live baby brine enriched with Selco, but the LFS should know. If they don't contact Biota directly and ask them.

Here is a link to our quarantine protocol:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Jay is correct with the status of introduction as long as it has come direct to you and not via an LFS display. I generally recommend a short qt cycle of 14days as Through shipment and stress of shipment- assume the fish has something but should be ok for direct introduction after acclimation.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with both - my experience is that 'baby tangs' i.e. 1 inch like yours do not do as well as adults - even though they were 'tank raised'. Observation in a tank for 14 days or so give you the chance to fatten it up - and monitor for any problems - especitally since it was in an LFS

OP
OP
Shibaken3

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx u for the pieces of advice. planning on doing observation for 4-5 days, 14 days copper, and 14 days prazi pro. any other advice is appreciated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thx u for the pieces of advice. planning on doing observation for 4-5 days, 14 days copper, and 14 days prazi pro. any other advice is appreciated.
If you're going to do QT, you might as well start the copper on day 1 (or 2) -

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up a biota YT from LFS. Tiny about 1 inch. I have QT all my fish and would like to also QT this YT as well. Will the standard QT method ok for the baby tang? Will it be too harmful to the fish?
You can always shoot us an email over to [email protected] for some QT instructions on our fish. I typically don't suggest right into copper but a monitoring period for a few days before any treatments. I also suggest the hybrid TTM as the least harmful QT for these guys. They don't seem impacted at all with H2O2 dips.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back